purify-like tools working also for fortan 90?

Discussion in 'C++' started by tomekj, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. tomekj

    tomekj Guest

    Hello Everyone -

    I posted this question in Fortran section few days ago, but got no
    replies so far - so I post it again here:

    I would appreciate if someone could suggest some momory debugging tools
    for fortran 90 - analogous to Purify. Actually, Purify works to some
    extent with fortran 90 executables, but apparently signals as errors all
    memory allocations (as UMR - uninitialized memory read) and
    deallocations (as ABR - array bounds read) -- so it is difficult to
    isolate the real errors.

    Another possibility I tried was Electric Fence, but that usually stops
    right away at the first allocation.

    I would appreciate any information on commercial or non-commercial tools
    of that kind, or maybe some tricks to be played with Purify.

    Thomas

    tomekj, Oct 28, 2003

  2. tomekj <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I posted this question in Fortran section few days ago, but got no
    > replies so far - so I post it again here:
    >
    > I would appreciate if someone could suggest some momory debugging tools
    > for fortran 90 - analogous to Purify. Actually, Purify works to some
    > extent with fortran 90 executables, but apparently signals as errors all
    > memory allocations (as UMR - uninitialized memory read) and
    > deallocations (as ABR - array bounds read) -- so it is difficult to
    > isolate the real errors.

    The 'valgrind' x86 memory error detector is an ass-kicking tool,
    it emulates an entire CPU and catches using uninitialized data,
    mallocs, frees, etc. Much better than purify.

    It will work as long as the executable has debugging information.

    It only supports x86 executables and is known to work for the GNU/linux
    system. It was developed for KDE.

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/valgrind/
    stelios xanthakis, Oct 29, 2003