Push XML data to client for processing

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JR, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    Hello,

    Although I consider myself a proficient C++ programmer (and am getting
    better everyday at C# :) I am new to and having a little trouble with some
    of the
    concepts behind ASP and ASP.NET. Particularly regarding the streaming
    of data between IE client and webserver.

    Here is what I am attempting to do.

    1. Create XML data on the server.
    2. Download a signed ActiveX DLL to the client (of course the client will
    have to accept this the first time).
    3. On the click of a client-side IE button, push the XML data into the
    client side ActiveX
    DLL for processing WITHOUT any ADDITIONAL client side intervention.

    If I put the XML data into a file on the server side, I know how to use the
    Response object to put up a file download dialog on the client side. But
    this requires user intervention.

    I tried doing what I have shown below in HTML. Assume the following:

    - ActiveX DLLs OBJECT id is "myDLL"
    - It has a string member called "myXML" and a method called "myMethod" that
    uses "myXML"
    - The server page language is C#
    - I have created a file on the server at
    "C:\TheRightDirectory\myXMLFile.xml"

    <BEGIN HTML EXCERPT>

    (Assume an <OBJECT> tag here which causes the ActiveX DLL "myDLL" download)

    <!-- I am using Outlook Express to compose this message and it seems to be
    interpreting the
    following HTML - I have added $$ in the hopes of confusing it -->
    $$<script language=vbscript>
    $$<!--
    $$ sub clicker
    $$ dim myXML
    $$ myXML=
    "<%Response.WriteFile(@"C:\TheRightDirectory\\myXMLFile.xml"); %>"
    $$ document.myDLL.myMethod
    $$ end sub
    $$-->
    $$</script>

    (Asssume a declaration here of an <INPUT type=button> that calls "clicker")

    <END HTML EXCERPT>

    I understand that the file gets literally inserted into the "clicker"
    subroutine in the HTML response and the above works fine when the
    "C:\TheRightDirectory\\myXMLFile.xml" file is
    small. The problem is when the file gets big, the interpretation of the
    "clicker" subroutine gets confused and breaks.

    I can only hope that the above description is not too confusing/boring.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    John Reichel
    afflux Consulting Group, LLC

    JR, Jul 17, 2003