Putting a not-equal sign on a page ....

Discussion in 'HTML' started by joesplink, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
    where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at

    www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

    Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
    Firefox.

    How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

    Use an image?

    Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

    font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
    font-family:
    "Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
    family:Symbol'><span
    style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>¹</span></
    span>

    Firefox prints a ¹ instead of a not-equal sign.
    joesplink, Jul 3, 2007

  2. joesplink

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    joesplink wrote:
    > I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
    > where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at
    >
    > www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm
    >
    > Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
    > Firefox.
    >
    > How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?
    >
    > Use an image?
    >
    > Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

    > font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
    > font-family:
    > "Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
    > family:Symbol'><span
    > style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>¹</span></
    > span>
    >
    > Firefox prints a ¹ instead of a not-equal sign.

    That is IE only rubbish (in fact Microsoft Office rubbish, hence the MSO)

    You want &ne;
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 3, 2007

  3. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > joesplink wrote:
    > > I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
    > > where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at

    > >www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

    > > Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
    > > Firefox.

    > > How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

    > > Use an image?

    > > Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

    > > font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
    > > font-family:
    > > "Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
    > > family:Symbol'><span
    > > style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>¹</span></
    > > span>

    > > Firefox prints a ¹ instead of a not-equal sign.

    > That is IE only rubbish (in fact Microsoft Office rubbish, hence the MSO)
    >
    > You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

    BONUS !

    (Oh yeah, now I remember where I got that, I wrote a ne in MS word doc
    and generated a htm file and copied)

    Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
    interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
    like a script d, you can see one on

    www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm

    There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
    with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache that when I did

    www.berkeleyscience.com/gr.htm

    I just used a regular d, which is .... wrong.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Slide
    joesplink, Jul 3, 2007
  4. joesplink

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jul 3, 9:59 am, joesplink <> wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >

    > > joesplink wrote:
    > > > I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
    > > > where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at

    > > >www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

    > > > Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work for
    > > > Firefox.

    > > > How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

    > > > Use an image?

    > > > Here's what works for IE, I have no idea where I found this ...

    > > > font-family:Symbol;mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-
    > > > font-family:
    > > > "Times New Roman";mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-
    > > > family:Symbol'><span
    > > > style='mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Symbol'>¹</span></
    > > > span>

    > > > Firefox prints a ¹ instead of a not-equal sign.

    > > That is IE only rubbish (in fact Microsoft Office rubbish, hence the MSO)

    > > You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

    > BONUS !
    >
    > (Oh yeah, now I remember where I got that, I wrote a ne in MS word doc
    > and generated a htm file and copied)
    >
    > Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
    > interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
    > like a script d, you can see one on
    >
    > www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm
    >
    > There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
    > with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache that when I did
    >
    > www.berkeleyscience.com/gr.htm
    >
    > I just used a regular d, which is .... wrong.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip!
    >
    > Slide

    So far as I know, there is no "not equal" that will work on most
    browsers. Some people use a small image in such a case. If you can not
    find one you like using a Google search, it should be fairly easy to
    make one using an image tool such as Paint Shop.

    The "not equal" is often needed writing javascript code. In
    javascript, "not equal" is written as "!=".
    cwdjrxyz, Jul 3, 2007
  5. joesplink

    John Hosking Guest

    joesplink wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >> joesplink wrote:
    >>> I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F <ne> MA
    >>> where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at
    >>> www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

    >> You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

    <sarcasm>Oh, I do love how Google includes its UI cues in GG users'
    posts</sarcasm>

    > Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
    > interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
    > like a script d, you can see one on
    >
    > www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm
    >
    > There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
    > with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache [...]

    Perhaps you want &part;

    Search the Web for /HTML entities/. See, among others, Wikipedia's
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references
    and the W3C's own info for HTML 4.0 at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/sgml/entities.html .

    Read also Jukka Korpela's voluminous work at
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html (more useful than you might
    think; skim, bookmark, revisit). You seem like a guy who'd want
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#math on that same page.

    HTH. GL.

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    John Hosking, Jul 3, 2007
  6. joesplink

    Bergamot Guest

    joesplink wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> You want &ne;

    > Is there a list of such character generators ?

    All the Unicode you could ever want is at:
    http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/unicode_samples.html

    Math symbols are included.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jul 3, 2007
  7. joesplink

    JWS Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > joesplink wrote:
    >> I have a web page with not-equal sign ... in the expression F
    >> <ne> MA where the <ne> is an actual not-equal sign at
    >>
    >> www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm
    >>
    >> Works fine for IE. However I just discovered it doesn't work
    >> for Firefox.
    >>
    >> How to get a not-equal sign that works for both ?

    Set the charset of your page to UTF-8 (a good idea anyway), and
    use the UTF-8 character for 'not equal' (≠, a.k.a. U+2260).

    If you have further mathematical ambitions, and want to show
    partial derivatives, fractions, whatever, you could consider using
    ASCIIMathML.js; see for an example my page

    http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/bounce.html

    (see, especially, the 'MATHML' box at the beginning).

    Unfortunately this works (at the moment) only in Windows and in
    Fedora's version of Firefox, not in other Linuces AFAIK (but I may
    be wrong). Dunno about Mac.

    Regards, Jan
    JWS, Jul 3, 2007
  8. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    joesplink, Jul 3, 2007
  9. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    On Jul 3, 10:15 am, John Hosking <>
    wrote:
    > joesplink wrote:

    > >> You want &ne;- Hide quoted text -

    > <sarcasm>Oh, I do love how Google includes its UI cues in GG users'
    > posts</sarcasm>
    >

    > > Is there a list of such character generators ? In particular, I'm
    > > interested in a 'partial derivative' symbol, which looks something
    > > like a script d, you can see one on

    > >www.berkeleyscience.com/waveeq.htm

    > > There I used, with great inconvenience, an image imbedded in the line,
    > > with the attendant hassels, it was such a headache [...]

    > Perhaps you want &part;
    >
    > Search the Web for /HTML entities/. See, among others, Wikipedia'shttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_re...
    > and the W3C's own info for HTML 4.0 athttp://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970708/sgml/entities.html.
    >
    > Read also Jukka Korpela's voluminous work athttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html(more useful than you might
    > think; skim, bookmark, revisit). You seem like a guy who'd wanthttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#mathon that same page.
    >
    > HTH. GL.
    >
    > --
    > John
    > Pondering the value of the UIP:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Hey, I thought you were jokinig. Yep, &part; works.

    Thanks,

    Slide
    www.berkeleyscience.com
    joesplink, Jul 3, 2007
  10. joesplink

    Bergamot Guest

    Bergamot, Jul 3, 2007
  11. joesplink

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    On Jul 4, 2:34 am, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > joesplink wrote:
    > > On Jul 2, 11:19 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > >> You want &ne;

    > > Is there a list of such character generators ?

    > All the Unicode you could ever want is at:http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/unicode_samples.html
    >
    > Math symbols are included.
    >
    > --
    > Berg

    Useful link, and a much more complete listing than I used to use.
    Thanks for that.
    --
    Joe GKF
    http://graspages.com