Putting a string onto a stream to be read into a DataGrid

James Norton-Jones

Hi,

Am I trying to hold the data of a DataGrid in a label so that when the form
is reposted the DataGrid can be repopulated. The problem I am having is that
I don't understand how to get the text into a stream in order to be able to
use DataSetOutcomes1.ReadXML(MyStream).

Thanks in advance,

James

Web Form:

Codebehind="course_new.aspx.vb"
Inherits="_1137InsetBookingSystem.course_new"%>
<!-- #INCLUDE file="headeraspx.inc" -->
<!-- #INCLUDE file="tableheader.inc" -->
<form id="FormNewCourse" method="post" runat="server">
Font-Bold="True">Course Title</asp:label></td>
Font-Bold="True">Course Tutor(s)</asp:label></td>
BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px"
Width="80px"></asp:button></td>
TextMode="MultiLine"></asp:textbox></td>
Font-Bold="True">Learning Outcomes</asp:label></td>
</TD></tr>
BackColor="#F6CD7A" BorderStyle="Solid"
BorderWidth="1px" Width="80px"
CausesValidation="False"></asp:button></td>
AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataMember="Outcomes" DataSource="<%#
DatasetOutcomes1 %>">
<HeaderStyle Font-Bold="True"></HeaderStyle>
<Columns>
<asp:TemplateColumn>
<ItemTemplate>
<ul>
<li>
</li>
</ul>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="Name" SortExpression="Name"
HeaderText="Name"></asp:BoundColumn>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="DisplayOrder"
SortExpression="DisplayOrder" HeaderText="DisplayOrder"></asp:BoundColumn>
<asp:ButtonColumn Text="Delete"
ButtonType="PushButton"></asp:ButtonColumn>
<asp:ButtonColumn Text="Edit"
ButtonType="PushButton"></asp:ButtonColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:datagrid></td>
runat="server"></asp:label></td>
</form>
<!-- #INCLUDE file="tablefooter.inc" -->
<!-- #INCLUDE file="footer.inc" -->

Code Bind:

Imports System
Imports System.IO
Imports System.Xml

Public Class course_new
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

InitializeComponent()
Me.DatasetOutcomes1 = New _1137InsetBookingSystem.DatasetOutcomes
CType(Me.DatasetOutcomes1,
System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit()
'
'DatasetOutcomes1
'
Me.DatasetOutcomes1.DataSetName = "DatasetOutcomes"
Me.DatasetOutcomes1.Locale = New
System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-GB")
CType(Me.DatasetOutcomes1,
System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).EndInit()

End Sub
Protected WithEvents lblCourseTitle As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label
Protected WithEvents txtCourseTitle As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
Protected WithEvents txtCourseTutor As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
Protected WithEvents txtTutorList As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
Protected WithEvents cmdAdd As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Protected WithEvents txtOutcome As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
Protected WithEvents cmdAddOutcome As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Protected WithEvents lblCourseTutorList As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label
Protected WithEvents lblLearningOutcomes As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label
Protected WithEvents DataGridOutcomes As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid
Protected WithEvents DatasetOutcomes1 As
_1137InsetBookingSystem.DatasetOutcomes
Protected WithEvents lblOutcomes As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label

Designer.
'Do not delete or move it.

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
InitializeComponent()
End Sub

#End Region
Public gstrTableTitle As String = "Create Course"
Public gstrTableAttribs As String

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
Me.DataGridOutcomes.DataBind()
Else
Dim str As String = Me.lblOutcomes.Text
Dim MyStream As StreamReader

If str.Length > 0 Then
MyStream = New StreamReader(str)
Me.DatasetOutcomes1.ReadXml(MyStream)

End If

'Me.DatasetOutcomes1.GetXml()
'

End If
End Sub

Private Sub UpdateOutcomes()
Me.DataGridOutcomes.DataSource = Me.DatasetOutcomes1
Me.DataGridOutcomes.DataBind()
End Sub

Private Sub cmdAdd_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles cmdAdd.Click

If InStr(Me.txtTutorList.Text, Me.txtCourseTutor.Text) < 1 Then
If Me.txtTutorList.Text.Length > 0 Then
Me.txtTutorList.Text = Me.txtTutorList.Text & ";" & vbCrLf &
Me.txtCourseTutor.Text
Else
Me.txtTutorList.Text = Me.txtCourseTutor.Text
End If
End If
End Sub

Private Sub cmdAddOutcome_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdAddOutcome.Click
Dim dr As DatasetOutcomes.OutcomesRow

dr = Me.DatasetOutcomes1.Outcomes.NewRow()
dr.Item("Name") = Me.txtOutcome.Text
dr.Item("DisplayOrder") = Me.DatasetOutcomes1.Outcomes.Rows.Count
'DatasetOutcomes1.Outcomes.Rows.InsertAt(dr,
Me.DatasetOutcomes1.Outcomes.Rows.Count)

DatasetOutcomes1.Outcomes.Rows.Add(dr)
Me.DataGridOutcomes.DataBind()

Me.lblOutcomes.Text = Me.DatasetOutcomes1.GetXml

End Sub

End Class

John Saunders

Most of the time, your code can follow this pattern:

Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal a As
System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
myDataSet = GetDataSetSomeHow()
myDataGrid.DataSource = myDataSet
myDataGrid.DataMember = "FirstTable"

DataBind()
End If
End Sub

When the page is posted back, the grid (or other controls) will populate
itself from ViewState.

James Norton-Jones

DatasetCourse is linked to an xml schema to define the data structure and
the data its self is an xml doc. There is no database behind it, hence the
need to repopulate from the xml data on postback.

Schema:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<xs:schema id="DatasetOutcomes"
targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/DatasetOutcomes.xsd"
elementFormDefault="qualified"
attributeFormDefault="qualified"
xmlns="http://http://localhost/1137InsetBookingSystem/DatasetOutcomes.xsd"
xmlns:mstns="http://tempuri.org/DatasetOutcomes.xsd"
xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata">
<xs:element name="DatasetOutcomes" msdata:IsDataSet="true">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xs:element name="Outcomes">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="Description" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
<xs:element name="DisplayOrder" type="xs:int" minOccurs="0" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:choice>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:key name="DatasetOutcomesKey1" msdata:primaryKey="true">
<xs:selector xpath=".//mstns:Outcomes" />
<xs:field xpath="mstns:Description" />
</xs:key>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

John Saunders

Ok, I don't think I've ever used an updateable XML file yet, so I didn't see
that. In order to update even a single row, you have to read in the entire
file.

Please pardon me for being dense, was your question ever actually answered?
:)

If I were you, I think I'd store DatasetCourse in Session state. On the
other hand, if you're going to be making multiple changes to the data per
session, I think I'd keep it in Session, but flush to disk whenever a change
was made. That way, if the session expires (seen as Session("DatasetCourse")
Is Nothing), then you can re-load it from the disk file (which you'll need
to uniquely name, without resorting to the Session ID!)

John Saunders

Runs on multiple servers - and no Sql Server database to store session state
in.

James Norton-Jones

It will eventually be written to a SQL DB but each of the data grid items
will relate to the new course record. As such the course details need top be
completed on the form.Once all the course details have been captured the
data will be split into several tables. Each of the outcome rows will relate
to one course record and will be held in a table call tblCourseOutcomes. I
did want to get into a situation of create temp record in the DB.

John Saunders

Oh, if there is a Sql Server database, had you considered using the
"SQLServer" mode of the <sessionState> element in web.config? I haven't
tried it - perhaps it's too slow.

James Norton-Jones

To be honest I didn't know it existed, I'll look into it thanks. It would
certainly reduce the HTML payload.