    What is the best component template to use for this kind of thing?
    Thanks,
    Gary

    GaryB, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Hi Gary,

    You'll want to use the Web Control Library component. The Render() event of
    your control dishes out the HTML. A great book on it is:

    Developing ASP.Net Server Controls And Components by Kothari Datye /
    Microsoft Press.

    Good luck! Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

    "GaryB" <> wrote in message
    > I have an ASPX page and a vb codebehind file that takes as input a passed
    > web datagrid as input. My page has a CrystalReportsViewer on it. My page
    > produces a PDF report of the DataGrid that was passed.
    >
    > I want to package this functionality into a component so that a programmer
    > can simply drop my control onto an aspx page, enter the name of a datagrid
    > on that page to enable print functionality for that grid.
    >
    > Going through some books on creating components and controls I haven't

    seen

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Nov 12, 2004

  3. GaryB

    GaryB Guest

    That looks to use only C# examples and I am VB based but I'll look into your
    advice.
    Thanks,
    Gary

    GaryB, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Hi Gary,

    I'm strictly VB too. I just took what I needed and converted it to VB.
    Good luck! Ken.

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Nov 12, 2004
  5. Hi Gary,

    I've also found another thread on the same problem in the
    dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrol newsgroup
    titled "Subject: Re: What Component model to use??"

    Some other communitry member and I have posted our reply there. I'd
    appreciate if you also have a look there. And if there're any other
    questions, please feel free to post here or in that thread. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 13, 2004
  6. Hi Steven,

    Has Microsoft published a book on creating custom controls in VB? I'd
    really like to add that to my library! Heck, I'll even write it because it
    isn't easy to figure out. The toughest part is implementing the designers
    and I've hardly seen a thing about making them in VB.Net. Pass this on to
    the VB.Net Team...let's have some fun! Ken.

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Nov 13, 2004
  7. Hi Ken,

    Thanks for your advice,I 'll pass it to the ASP.NET guys. Also, since the
    language used in the book always depend on the author, not sure whether any
    VBNET guys would consider writing one. Fortunately, we can use the
    Reflector tool to dig into some asp.net webcontrols to get some ideas and
    some availabe opensource 3rd party web controls may also help.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 15, 2004