Putting my site on google

JMcC

Hi all,

I have a web site up and running and I have added it into google.
However I have noticed that some poeple have their site in google so
that when they are searched for, google displays the link for their
site as well as their address and a map to their location.

I was wondering how to get google to do this for my site. Do you have
to pay for this?

Cheers

John

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed JMcC <[email protected]>
writing in 60g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:
Hi all,

I have a web site up and running and I have added it into google.
However I have noticed that some poeple have their site in google so
that when they are searched for, google displays the link for their
site as well as their address and a map to their location.

I was wondering how to get google to do this for my site. Do you have
to pay for this?

No, you do not have to pay for it. Have you submitted the sitemap to
Google?

JMcC

Yes I have registered with google.

How often does it update the information it has on my site. Plus is
there anything I need to put in the Meta tags for google to search on?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed JMcC <[email protected]>
writing in 64g2000hsw.googlegroups.com:
Yes I have registered with google.

How often does it update the information it has on my site. Plus is
there anything I need to put in the Meta tags for google to search on?

This is getting a little OT for this group - I suggest you go over to
alt.internet.search-engines

Bergamot

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed JMcC <[email protected]>
writing in 64g2000hsw.googlegroups.com:

This is getting a little OT for this group

Not really. Unless the charter's changed, pretty much anything goes here
as long as it is web-related in some way.
- I suggest you go over to
alt.internet.search-engines

That would be advisable because that group is specific to the OP's query
and there's different expertise over there. It's still on topic here,
though.

mynameisnobodyodyssea

About your first question about a geographical map
displayed in search results, there is no guarantee,
but did you have a look at
Google local business center
https://www.google.com/local/add/

About how often Google updates the information
on your site, do you mean how often it crawls your site
and updates the cached copy of your pages?
You can have an idea by looking at the dates
of the cached copy that you can access from the cached link
in the search results.

Also, if you submitted an XML sitemap for your site
of the type described in http://sitemaps.org/
then you can see in Google Webmaster Tools
various stats about the way Googlebot crawls your site,
and how often it downloads your robots.txt file and sitemap.

About meta tags, use well the meta description tag.
Have good content for
important tags like the <title> tag or <h1> tags,
and it is a good idea to have valid (X)HTML mark-up.

Have a look at the Google Webmaster Guidelines at
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769