    but this is unusable as it is now.
    Thanks
    Eric

    Eric, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Eric wrote:
    > I have a website and i have some mpg format movies out there that
    > are on a page and coded like this:
    > When i click on it, it plays but after a few seconds it stutters badly.
    > Some browsers attempt to donwload the whole thing before playing.
    > Is the above html snippet the right way to do this?
    > I was hoping to share video of my daughter with my extended family
    > but this is unusable as it is now.

    It is fine, to have it ploy smoothly would require streaming setup on
    your server. How a browser handles the file depends how the browser is
    setup. All you have to do is recommend that your family not just click
    the list but, right-click and select "Save Link As..." and download the
    MPG and then play it off their local hard drive.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Eric

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Feb 18, 3:19 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    > I have a website and i have some mpg format movies out there that
    > are on a page and coded like this:
    > When i click on it, it plays but after a few seconds it stutters badly.
    > Some browsers attempt to donwload the whole thing before playing.
    > Is the above html snippet the right way to do this?
    > I was hoping to share video of my daughter with my extended family
    > but this is unusable as it is now.
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Mpg is not a very good format for streaming. Your best bet would be to
    convert to a .wmv, .rm, or .mov format. You need to know what download
    speed your viewers can support and use a file size that will support
    it without undue delay. If you don't have video conversion programs,
    Microsoft offers a free wmv/wma encoder and likewise Real offers a
    free encoder for .rm/.ra . I believe both will accept a .mpg as input.
    Both allow you to select conditions for everything from dialup to high
    end broadband connections. Thus, knowing what connection your viewers
    have and if they have the WMP player and/or the Real player, you can
    select best conditions. If the files do not then start playing, a .wvx
    or .rpm/.ram playlist/redirector file often will start the streaming.
    If you need to go this route, post back for directions. Also once the
    file is working and if you want to embed it at some selected size on a
    web page, post back. I don't have the urls for the mentioned encoders
    at hand, but you likely can find them at Microsoft and Real by
    searching on something like media encoder. Also the Apple QT .mov
    formation is an option, but not for very low speed connections such as
    dialup. QT movies made on most conversion programs and the basic Apple
    QT free player usually will not stream unless they are "hinted". You
    can hint QT files by upgrading the free QT player to the Pro version
    for about US$ 30. Then if you have a QT movie, regardless of where
    encoded, you can open it in QT Pro and then just store it somewhere.
    That is all it takes to "hint" the .mov so it will stream on a fast
    enough connection. All very easy, except perhaps on the wallet.

    cwdjrxyz, Feb 18, 2007
  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 3:19 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    >> I have a website and i have some mpg format movies out there that
    >> are on a page and coded like this:
    >> When i click on it, it plays but after a few seconds it stutters badly.
    >> Some browsers attempt to donwload the whole thing before playing.
    >> Is the above html snippet the right way to do this?
    >> I was hoping to share video of my daughter with my extended family
    >> but this is unusable as it is now.
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > Mpg is not a very good format for streaming. Your best bet would be to
    > convert to a .wmv, .rm, or .mov format. You need to know what download
    > speed your viewers can support and use a file size that will support
    > it without undue delay. If you don't have video conversion programs,
    > Microsoft offers a free wmv/wma encoder and likewise Real offers a
    > free encoder for .rm/.ra . I believe both will accept a .mpg as input.
    > Both allow you to select conditions for everything from dialup to high
    > end broadband connections. Thus, knowing what connection your viewers
    > have and if they have the WMP player and/or the Real player, you can
    > select best conditions. If the files do not then start playing, a .wvx
    > or .rpm/.ram playlist/redirector file often will start the streaming.
    > If you need to go this route, post back for directions. Also once the
    > file is working and if you want to embed it at some selected size on a
    > web page, post back. I don't have the urls for the mentioned encoders
    > at hand, but you likely can find them at Microsoft and Real by
    > searching on something like media encoder. Also the Apple QT .mov
    > formation is an option, but not for very low speed connections such as
    > dialup. QT movies made on most conversion programs and the basic Apple
    > QT free player usually will not stream unless they are "hinted". You
    > can hint QT files by upgrading the free QT player to the Pro version
    > for about US$ 30. Then if you have a QT movie, regardless of where
    > encoded, you can open it in QT Pro and then just store it somewhere.
    > That is all it takes to "hint" the .mov so it will stream on a fast
    > enough connection. All very easy, except perhaps on the wallet.

    Excellent!
    I have it downloaded now and converting the frist mpg -
    thanks a bunch
    Eric

    Eric, Feb 18, 2007