Puzzle!

Joachim Schmitz

Keith Thompson said:
I've never seen that convention, but then I don't hang out in chat
rooms.
So you've learned something new today. It is common not only in chat rooms,
but also in forums (or whatever the plural of forum might be), which is
quite a similar concept to news.
It came across as a deliberate insult directed at an individual. Even
I know the feeling ;-), although I didn't find this one insulting
if you didn't mean it that way, I see nothing "fun" about that. (Yes,
I did just post a long message advising someone else to grow a thicker
skin. I'm not always entirely consistent.)
Gotcha! :cool:)

Bye, Jojo

Richard Heathfield

Joachim Schmitz said:
So you've learned something new today. It is common not only in chat
rooms,

I don't think I've ever seen it in IRC...
but also in forums (or whatever the plural of forum might be),

"fora", although Chambers also lists "forums".
which is quite a similar concept to news.

Except that Web fora tend to be linear, which is a real nuisance.

<snip>

Urs Beeli

Urs Beeli said:

That's not so amazing as it should be, alas.

True enough :)
I'm delighted to hear it. Do you want a job in clc's PR department? :)

It depends on how well it pays :)
Those who demonstrate that they really are trying to learn will normally
get pretty patient treatment here.
True.

But those who are looking for a quick fix, a homework cheat or whatever,
will find that the regulars tend to undergo an empathectomy before
responding.

Also true. And I understand that this is based on a long an exhaustive
stream of annoying and inconsiderate posters. However, I am sure that even
among those that are looking for a quick fix, a homework cheat or whatever,
there are those who would show more understanding if the empathectomy were
slightly incomplete :) Of course, the majority would probably stay the way
they are, taxing this groups patience :-/

Cheers
/urs

Keith Thompson

Urs Beeli said:
Urs Beeli said: [...]
I have profited incredibly from lurking in c.l.c and becoming a
nitpicker in my own code has made it more portable, safer and easier
to maintain.

I'm delighted to hear it. Do you want a job in clc's PR department? :)

It depends on how well it pays :)

That would be "no", then. :cool:}

Richard Harter

Urs Beeli said:
Urs Beeli said: [...]
I have profited incredibly from lurking in c.l.c and becoming a
nitpicker in my own code has made it more portable, safer and easier
to maintain.

I'm delighted to hear it. Do you want a job in clc's PR department? :)

It depends on how well it pays :)

That would be "no", then. :cool:}

That depends. Perhaps he will only consider the job if it doesn't pay
well.

BiGYaN

Please read the above again; you're still failing to trim quoted
material.

[...]
I really did not know about this undefined behavior of "fflush(stdin)"
in C.

The comp.lang.c FAQ is at <http://www.c-faq.com/>. It's an excellent
source of information, and one that you should check before posting
here.

[...]
As far as that getchar() and stdio.h is concerned, I just copy pasted
the code that was present in the starting post, so I didn't bother to
modify it. As far as I understood the problem the person had a problem
with that "\n" only. So I modified the code as little as possible. It
was just a quick and simple solution.

Ok, that's a fair point. I've sometimes posted modified code that
corrects one error without noticing that there was another error.

But I don't then defend the error, as you did.

Hmmm .... see I trimmed the signature here. Actually it's very easy to
use the reply link and forget trimming the content.

I never "defended" my error. I said including stdio.h was "obvious"
and I also agreed that getchar() returns an int. What I said was it
would "work in this case" .... which of course was later pointed out
to me as the most likely source of errors .... I even agreed to this.

Thanks for that link of http://www.c-faq.com. I've already added it to
my C Bookmarks list after seeing it being quoted extensively in this
forum.

Eric Sosman

BiGYaN wrote On 06/12/07 14:36,:
That's what I observe.

If you're sneering at the ability to identify tiny
flaws, don't. As a self-described Post Graduate CS
student you ought to know by now that computer programs
are "stiff" and "brittle," and that one tiny flaw can
bring an entire beautiful structure to ruin. If you
cannot spot those flaws, or take constructive action when
someone else spots them for you, you have invested a lot
of learning in a career for which you are unsuited.

One of the hardest lessons a programmer must learn
is that the correct response when someone finds flaws
in his beautifully-crafted code is "Thank you!"