Puzzling javadoc behavior

Discussion in 'Java' started by rodrigobraz.removethis@gmail.com, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am using javadoc and found some puzzling behavior. Can anyone please
    explain it to me?

    I have the following directories

    mypackage
    temp/mypackage

    and files

    temp/mypackage/SomeClass.java
    mypackage/SomeOtherClass.java, which contains the illegal character
    \35, on purpose. The reason for that will be soon clear.

    javadoc -d docs temp/mypackage/SomeClass.java

    Gives me the message

    ..\mypackage\SomeOtherClass.java:3: illegal character: \35

    My question is: why does javadoc even look at directory mypackage at
    all? It was told to process temp/mypackage/SomeClass.java only. In
    other words, why are files in mypackage relevant at all?

    In fact, if I rename mypackage to something else, everything works as
    expected.

    Clearly, javadoc is assuming there may be a source code tree with the
    processed packages from the current directory, but was is the purpose
    of such an assumption?

    Any help appreciated. Thank you.

    Rodrigo
    , Oct 18, 2007