Puzzling Virtual Directory Behavior

Jav

V2005, Windows xp Prof, asp.net newbie

I am having a devil of a time starting an asp.net app. Here's what I'm doing.

1. Create a Folder (TestSite) in Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WebSites
2. Start iis. Create Virtual Directory, Alias TestSite, Location: as above
3. Select TestSite Virtual Dir in iis - Properties - on ASP.Net tab select
version 2.0.50727
4. On Directory Security tab, set User to ASPNET, allow anonymous access
5. Fire up VS2005. New WebSite Select TestSite
6. Solution is created. Open Default.aspx. Type "Hello"
7. Press Control F5
8 Receive following error:

Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
is denied.

If I now allow Sharing on WebSite or TestSite folder, I can open the page
BUT, when I set up my Membership database (ASPNETDB), I get an error
complaining that my database is on a UNC Share and cannot be opened. (I am
not interested in a set up where DB is on a separate Shared computer)

This looks like a catch 22. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Jav

Anthony Jones

Jav said:
[...]

This is group is for classic ASP for ASP.NET help try:-

Jav

I suppose you don't know the answer either.

Anthony Jones said:
This is group is for classic ASP for ASP.NET help try:-

Jav

I did find the answer through some trial and error, and posted an elaborate
message to help others but everything disappeared when I clicked Post. So
here is the short answer.

In order to use both http and ASPNETDB for membership, the asp project
directory must be in c:Inetpub/wwwroot. To use a virtual directory anywhere
else one will have to use a File System type project.

Jav