Puzzling Virtual Directory Behavior

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jav, Jun 10, 2006.

  1. Jav

    Jav Guest

    V2005, Windows xp Prof, asp.net newbie

    I am having a devil of a time starting an asp.net app. Here's what I'm doing.

    1. Create a Folder (TestSite) in Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WebSites
    2. Start iis. Create Virtual Directory, Alias TestSite, Location: as above
    3. Select TestSite Virtual Dir in iis - Properties - on ASP.Net tab select
    version 2.0.50727
    4. On Directory Security tab, set User to ASPNET, allow anonymous access
    5. Fire up VS2005. New WebSite Select TestSite
    6. Solution is created. Open Default.aspx. Type "Hello"
    7. Press Control F5
    8 Receive following error:

    Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
    have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
    is denied.

    If I now allow Sharing on WebSite or TestSite folder, I can open the page
    BUT, when I set up my Membership database (ASPNETDB), I get an error
    complaining that my database is on a UNC Share and cannot be opened. (I am
    not interested in a set up where DB is on a separate Shared computer)

    This looks like a catch 22. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Jav

    Jav, Jun 10, 2006

  2. "Jav" <> wrote in message
    > V2005, Windows xp Prof, asp.net newbie
    >
    > I am having a devil of a time starting an asp.net app. Here's what I'm

    doing.

    > 1. Create a Folder (TestSite) in Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WebSites
    > 2. Start iis. Create Virtual Directory, Alias TestSite, Location: as

    above
    > 3. Select TestSite Virtual Dir in iis - Properties - on ASP.Net tab select
    > version 2.0.50727
    > 4. On Directory Security tab, set User to ASPNET, allow anonymous access
    > 5. Fire up VS2005. New WebSite Select TestSite
    > 6. Solution is created. Open Default.aspx. Type "Hello"
    > 7. Press Control F5
    > 8 Receive following error:
    >
    > Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does

    not
    > have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005

    Access
    > is denied.
    >
    > If I now allow Sharing on WebSite or TestSite folder, I can open the page
    > BUT, when I set up my Membership database (ASPNETDB), I get an error
    > complaining that my database is on a UNC Share and cannot be opened. (I am
    > not interested in a set up where DB is on a separate Shared computer)
    >
    > This looks like a catch 22. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    > Jav

    This is group is for classic ASP for ASP.NET help try:-

    Anthony Jones, Jun 11, 2006

  3. Jav

    Jav Guest

    I suppose you don't know the answer either.

    Jav, Jun 11, 2006
  4. Jav

    Jav Guest

    I did find the answer through some trial and error, and posted an elaborate
    message to help others but everything disappeared when I clicked Post. So
    here is the short answer.

    In order to use both http and ASPNETDB for membership, the asp project
    directory must be in c:Inetpub/wwwroot. To use a virtual directory anywhere
    else one will have to use a File System type project.

    Jav

    Jav, Jun 11, 2006