py-complete help

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dustin Lee, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Dustin Lee

    Dustin Lee Guest

    Seems like py-complete.el offers some cool features, if I could only
    get it to work.

    >From the file

    ;; 1. hippie-expand support via try-complete-py-complete-symbol,
    ;; just like the lisp-version, nice for the [S-tab] hungry.
    What do I need to do to get this to work? I have hippie-expand mapped
    to F7 (not S-tab) but I'm not sure how I can get hippie to "know"
    about the above complete function

    ;;
    ;; 2. minibuffer-complete, pressing [M-return] brings up a
    ;; minibuffer completion of the expression before point, usefull if
    ;; you want to get an overview of your options.
    Nothing happens when I press M-return

    ;;
    ;; 3. pressing [f1] brings up help on a python symbol before point
    ;; (just what help(thingy) gives
    if i try this after anything (e.g. "time")
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    NameError: name 'time' is not defined

    ;;
    ;; 4. pressing "(" tries to parse the preceeding tokens as a funtion
    ;; or method, and retrieve the signature via the inspect module, and
    ;; messages it to you
    after time.time

    py-complete: waiting for python prompt
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    NameError: name 'time' is not defined

    ;;
    ;; 5. pressing "," shows last signature.
    ;;
    ;; (4+5) is great for calling functions like:
    ;;
    ;; string.join
    ;;
    ;; where I can never remember whether it's the list or seperator first
    pretty much same as above

    ;;
    ;; 6. tries to work for both py-execute-buffer and
    ;; py-execute-import-or-reload oriented work-styles. Feel free to
    ;; suggest improvements, or to just improve the code yourself.

    Hmm.... Ok, I'm lame. What does this mean?

    Thanks,

    dustin

    ps. I've been googling around but haven't found a great one stop
    shopping resource for "power" programming techniques for python in
    emacs. Any suggestions?

    --
    Dustin Lee
    qhfgva=rot13(dustin)