py2exe & application add-ons

Alex Gusarov

Hello, I've met a problem - I want my program working without Python
installation but I have some add-on mechanism (add-ons represented by
separate .py files, and application auto-recognize such files on
start).

So, if I will using py2exe for main program and separate .py files for
add-ons, will I need Python installation on client machine?
Maybe other ways exist for such tasks?

Matthew Woodcraft

Alex Gusarov said:
Hello, I've met a problem - I want my program working without Python
installation but I have some add-on mechanism (add-ons represented by
separate .py files, and application auto-recognize such files on
start).
So, if I will using py2exe for main program and separate .py files for
add-ons, will I need Python installation on client machine?
Maybe other ways exist for such tasks?

py2exe's output includes a complete Python interpreter, so it should
work just fine.

If you want to load the .py files using 'import' you might have to
fiddle a bit, but if you just open the files and use 'exec' it should
be very easy indeed.

-M-

Mike Driscoll

Hello, I've met a problem - I want my program working without Python
installation but I have some add-on mechanism (add-ons represented by
separate .py files, and application auto-recognize such files on
start).

So, if I will using py2exe for main program and separate .py files for
add-ons, will I need Python installation on client machine?
Maybe other ways exist for such tasks?

I know some of the people here swear by the "freeze" modules. As I
understand it, you can use them to just distribute your pyc files.
This makes updates very small, or so I've heard. I haven't tried it
yet.

Mike

Alex Gusarov

Thanks everybody, yes, I use 'exec' for files.
And "freeze" modules - thanks too, I almost forgot this opportunity.