Py2exe... & hiding propritary stuff in the exe

Will

Maybe there is another group for posting this... I am a total newbie to
Python... so please forgive me if I ask a bunch of inappropriate
questions... as I am a big question asker.

If I develope an application in Python and use the Py2exe (hope I have that
right) tool... can I embed certain files... like graphic files... and even
video files... into the exe... so that they reside there, during
execution... as opposed to uncompressing into seperate files upon
installation.

For example, if I have a propritary graphic/slide and/or short propritary
video that I don't want to be a 'standalone' file... like a jpg or mov or
whatever... as I don't want people to be able to re-distribute the proteray
graphic/movie files w/o my application... will Py2exe or some other tool or
method bury those some way... like keeping them as data in the exe file?

It's been a long time since I have programed, but Python has got me
interested again.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Will

Thomas Heller

Will said:
Maybe there is another group for posting this... I am a total newbie to
Python... so please forgive me if I ask a bunch of inappropriate
questions... as I am a big question asker.

If I develope an application in Python and use the Py2exe (hope I have that
right) tool... can I embed certain files... like graphic files... and even
video files... into the exe... so that they reside there, during
execution... as opposed to uncompressing into seperate files upon
installation.

For example, if I have a propritary graphic/slide and/or short propritary
video that I don't want to be a 'standalone' file... like a jpg or mov or
whatever... as I don't want people to be able to re-distribute the proteray
graphic/movie files w/o my application... will Py2exe or some other tool or
method bury those some way... like keeping them as data in the exe file?

py2exe allows to include data files as windows resources in the exe
file. Another thing you may be interested in is Mike Fletcher's
resourcepackage:

http://resourcepackage.sourceforge.net/

Thomas

Dave Brueck

Will said:
For example, if I have a propritary graphic/slide and/or short propritary
video that I don't want to be a 'standalone' file... like a jpg or mov or
whatever... as I don't want people to be able to re-distribute the proteray
graphic/movie files w/o my application... will Py2exe or some other tool or
method bury those some way... like keeping them as data in the exe file?

How will that proprietary media be used? I ask because once you go to view it,
won't it be completely open and available to the user anyway? (if it's a jpg,
then the user could just take a screen shot of it, and if it's a movie, then
you either have to make it available on the filesystem so the video player can
play it, or go through the non-trivial tasks of streaming the data to the
player, in which case the player's own DRM scheme may be better as true media
access control requires integration with the media sink or player, and not just
the transport).

-Dave

Will

Your right Dave.. we just want to make it as difficult as we can for the
average user... I guess a determined programmer could de-compile our code if
they really wanted to. So, there is no perfect solution I guess. But, we
want it harder than just selecting all the files and pressing Ctl-C and
Ctl-V :)

Have fun,

Will