py2exe linux equivalent

Brendan Miller

I have a python application that I want to package up and deploy to
various people using RHEL 4.

I'm using python 2.6 to develop the app. The RHEL 4 machines have an
older version of python I'd rather not code against (although that's
an option). My main stumbling block is I need to use a couple of
python modules (paramiko and pycrypto) that include C bits in them.

Is there any tool out there that can pull in my dependencies and give
me a packaged binary that I can hand off to my users without worrying
about them having my modules or the right version of python? Extra
credit if it generates an RPM for me.

It really doens't matter if the binary generated is somewhat bloated
with excess dependencies. It can include glibc for all I care.

The main thing keeping me from using all kinds of python in my linux
development at work is not being able to package up the results and
hand them off in a convenient way.

Thanks,
Brendan

Mike Driscoll

[...]

I've heard that PyInstaller can do this, but haven't actually tried
it. Let me know how it goes though, if you get the chance. Here's a
link:

http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com/

You might also look at cx_freeze or bbfreeze.

Mike