py2exe, program has stoped working!?

skanemupp

so i used py2exe and i have the build and the dist-folders.

in the distfolder there is a Calculator.exe file.

when i run it it just says "Calculator.exe has stopped working" in a
popup but the program itself never shows up.

wtf!?

and when im distributing my program i have to include both catalogues
right?

Gabriel Genellina

so i used py2exe and i have the build and the dist-folders.

and when im distributing my program i have to include both catalogues
right?

You only have to distribute the contents of the "dist" directory.

(I have no idea what the message error means)

John Machin

so i used py2exe and i have the build and the dist-folders.

in the distfolder there is a Calculator.exe file.

when i run it it just says "Calculator.exe has stopped working" in a
popup but the program itself never shows up.

Is it a console program or a gui program?
What happens when you run it without py2exe?
Have you searched for "has stopped working" in (a) your source code
(b) the py2exe source code?
Have you managed to get any py2exe-created program to run properly?

skanemupp

Is it a console program or a gui program?
GUI
What happens when you run it without py2exe?
it works perfectly, both from within python and launching from
"windows"
Have you searched for "has stopped working" in
(a) your source code
yes no such message there
(b) the py2exe source code?
no, will do but doubt thats the problem
Have you managed to get any py2exe-created program to run properly?
no

John Machin

it works perfectly, both from within python and launching from
"windows"

(a) your source code
yes no such message there> (b) the py2exe source code?

no, will do but doubt thats the problem

no

Well, perhaps you might like to look in the samples directory of the
py2exe distribution and choose a simple example and try that.

By the way, "popup" is what you get in a web browser. What did this
"popup" look like: a panel from your GUI software? A Windows message
box? Did it have a title across the top? What was the exact text in
the popup/panel/box? Were there any options other than to close the
window?

Which version of Python? Which Windows, what service pack? What GUI,
what version? Care to divulge the contents of your setup.py? Apart
from your GUI, what 3rd party packages/modules are you importing?

Steve Holden

John said:
Well, perhaps you might like to look in the samples directory of the
py2exe distribution and choose a simple example and try that.

By the way, "popup" is what you get in a web browser. What did this
"popup" look like: a panel from your GUI software? A Windows message
box? Did it have a title across the top? What was the exact text in
the popup/panel/box? Were there any options other than to close the
window?

Which version of Python? Which Windows, what service pack? What GUI,
what version? Care to divulge the contents of your setup.py? Apart
from your GUI, what 3rd party packages/modules are you importing?

FYI "xxx has stopped working" is Vista's "user-friendly" way of
reporting what Windows 3 would probably have called a "General Program
Fault". It pretty much hides all useful information fro the end-user,
perhaps on the grounds that end users wouldn't know what to do with the
information it *could* provide anyway.

regards
Steve

Steve Holden

John said:
[...]

So I found by googling "has stopped working". I'd never seen such a
litany of weeping, wailing and u'\u02ad' before.
It pretty much hides all useful information fro the end-user,
perhaps on the grounds that end users wouldn't know what to do with the
information it *could* provide anyway.

Thanks for the info, Steve. Sounds like it's even worse than its
predecessor in Windows XP.

Cheers,
John

Steve Holden

John said:
So I found by googling "has stopped working". I'd never seen such a
litany of weeping, wailing and u'\u02ad' before.

Thanks for the info, Steve. Sounds like it's even worse than its
predecessor in Windows XP.

You could say "it sucks" and not be a million miles away. Particularly
since Windows Explorer is itself one of the programs that quite
frequently "stops working".

regards
Steve

Robert Kern

John said:
So I found by googling "has stopped working". I'd never seen such a
litany of weeping, wailing and u'\u02ad' before.

OT: Best use of Unicode ever.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

skanemupp

Well, perhaps you might like to look in the samples directory of the
py2exe distribution and choose a simple example and try that.

By the way, "popup" is what you get in a web browser. What did this
"popup" look like: a panel from your GUI software? A Windows message
box? Did it have a title across the top? What was the exact text in
the popup/panel/box? Were there any options other than to close the
window?

Which version of Python? Which Windows, what service pack? What GUI,
what version? Care to divulge the contents of your setup.py? Apart
from your GUI, what 3rd party packages/modules are you importing?

its a windows message as others have said.
only option to close the window.

2.5python
windows vista
tkinter GUI

im importing tkinter and from future import division