py2exe service doesn't work, can't connect to service controller ?

Brad Clements

I'm trying to get a simple service to work with py2exe and python 2.3

I get this error when I start it (after registering it)

The description for Event ID ( 240 ) in Source ( UMXWIN32SVC ) cannot be found. The local
computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages
from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: 1063, The service process
could not connect to the service controller..

I then tried the sample MyService and I get the same problem. After building it, I then
register it then try to start it, but it fails.

The description for Event ID ( 240 ) in Source ( MyService ) cannot be found. The local computer may
not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. The following information is part of the event: 1063, The service process could not connect
to the service controller..

The contents of the dist directory for the sample MyService is

Directory of C:\temp\py2exe\MyService

08/19/2003 09:55a <DIR> .
08/19/2003 09:55a <DIR> ..
08/19/2003 09:55a 324,416 MyService.exe
05/30/2003 06:12p 847,920 python22.dll
07/29/2003 06:54p 974,900 python23.dll
01/18/2002 04:44p 65,536 PyWinTypes22.dll
07/27/2003 10:23p 86,084 PyWinTypes23.dll
07/27/2003 10:23p 61,497 win32api.pyd
07/27/2003 10:23p 28,731 win32event.pyd
07/27/2003 10:23p 28,732 win32evtlog.pyd
07/27/2003 10:23p 28,733 win32service.pyd
07/29/2003 06:55p 57,392 _sre.pyd

(Note the double copying of pythonxx.dll's)

The registry entry looks ok.

Any ideas?