py2exe/wxpython demo

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bryan, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    just for fun and my own experience, i wanted to use py2exe to wrap the wxpython demo. i put the setup script in the
    demo directory which is the following:

    from distutils.core import setup
    import glob
    import py2exe

    setup(windows=['demo.py'],
    data_files=[('bitmaps', glob.glob('bitmaps/*.*')),
    ('data', glob.glob('data/*.*')),
    ('bmp_source', glob.glob('bmp_source/*.*')),
    ('', glob.glob('*.py'))],
    )

    and ran the command like this:

    setup py2exe --ignores wx.BitmapFromImage,wx.EmptyIcon
    --includes ActiveX_FlashWindow,ActiveX_IEHtmlWindow

    this was successful except for one thing... do i really have to explictly list every script file in the demo directory
    in the --includes argument on the command line? there are so many. i was hoping to somehow be able to add it in the
    script as a glob, but nothing i did worked. in case you aren't aware, the .py files in the demo directory is used both
    as a data file which is why i added them in the data_files section, and also as python scripts which needs to be added
    in the library.zip file. the --includes argument on the command line will correctly compile and place the .pyc files in
    the library.zip, there must be a better way that having to added them all explicitly on the command line.

    thanks,

    bryan
    Bryan, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Bryan <> writes:

    > just for fun and my own experience, i wanted to use py2exe to wrap the
    > wxpython demo. i put the setup script in the demo directory which is
    > the following:
    >

    > from distutils.core import setup
    > import glob
    > import py2exe
    >
    > setup(windows=['demo.py'],
    > data_files=[('bitmaps', glob.glob('bitmaps/*.*')),
    > ('data', glob.glob('data/*.*')),
    > ('bmp_source', glob.glob('bmp_source/*.*')),
    > ('', glob.glob('*.py'))],
    > )
    >

    > and ran the command like this:
    >

    > setup py2exe --ignores wx.BitmapFromImage,wx.EmptyIcon
    > --includes ActiveX_FlashWindow,ActiveX_IEHtmlWindow
    >

    > this was successful except for one thing... do i really have to
    > explictly list every script file in the demo directory in the
    > --includes argument on the command line? there are so many. i was
    > hoping to somehow be able to add it in the script as a glob, but
    > nothing i did worked.

    You can pass these to the setup function in an 'option' dictionary:

    setup(....
    options={"py2exe": {"ignores":
    ["wx.BitmapFromImage", "wx.EmptyIcon"],
    "includes": ["ActiveX_FlashWindow", "..."]}},
    ...)

    See also the wiki:

    <http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/PassingOptionsToPy2Exe>

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Thomas Heller wrote:
    > Bryan <> writes:
    >

    >>just for fun and my own experience, i wanted to use py2exe to wrap the
    >>wxpython demo. i put the setup script in the demo directory which is
    >>the following:
    >>

    >>from distutils.core import setup
    >>import glob
    >>import py2exe
    >>
    >>setup(windows=['demo.py'],
    >> data_files=[('bitmaps', glob.glob('bitmaps/*.*')),
    >> ('data', glob.glob('data/*.*')),
    >> ('bmp_source', glob.glob('bmp_source/*.*')),
    >> ('', glob.glob('*.py'))],
    >> )
    >>

    >>and ran the command like this:
    >>

    >>setup py2exe --ignores wx.BitmapFromImage,wx.EmptyIcon
    >> --includes ActiveX_FlashWindow,ActiveX_IEHtmlWindow
    >>

    >>this was successful except for one thing... do i really have to
    >>explictly list every script file in the demo directory in the
    >>--includes argument on the command line? there are so many. i was
    >>hoping to somehow be able to add it in the script as a glob, but
    >>nothing i did worked.

    > You can pass these to the setup function in an 'option' dictionary:
    >
    > setup(....
    > options={"py2exe": {"ignores":
    > ["wx.BitmapFromImage", "wx.EmptyIcon"],
    > "includes": ["ActiveX_FlashWindow", "..."]}},
    > ...)
    >
    > See also the wiki:
    >
    > <http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/PassingOptionsToPy2Exe>
    >
    > Thomas