PyCharm, .idea, and source control

Discussion in 'Python' started by alex23, Dec 15, 2011.

  1. alex23

    alex23 Guest

    Hey everyone,

    I've been using PyCharm for the past month and only just hit an issue
    that I'm hoping someone else may have some experience with resolving.
    My problem has to do with PyCharm storing project configuration files
    in its .idea folder inside the project.

    This is both a mix of project-level settings and individual
    customisations. The recommendation is to check this folder into the
    repo as well - excluding the files of individual settings - but I'm
    the only developer here using PyCharm and polluting the project with
    one user's settings would not be received well. More so, even if I
    _did_ this, I'd still need to be storing my individual settings
    elsewhere.

    So what I'm currently doing is having git ignore the .idea folder, and
    then subsequently turning the folder into its own repo and storing it
    separately. Ideally I'd just like to be able to have all of the
    project-config folders in one user-definable location, but I haven't
    found any way to do that.

    Has any one else hit this issue, and if so, any tips of resolving it
    elegantly?

    alex23, Dec 15, 2011