PyChecker lives, version 0.8.15 released

Neal Norwitz

Special thanks to Ken Pronovici. He did a lot of work for this
release and helped ensure it occurred.

Version 0.8.15 of PyChecker is available. It's been over a year since
the last release. Wow, time really does fly. Since it's been so long
I'm sure I screwed something up, treat it delicately. It may have bugs
and erase your hard drive. If that happens, look on the bright side,
you won't have any more bugs. :)

PyChecker is a tool for finding bugs in Python source code.
It finds problems that are typically caught by a compiler for less
dynamic languages, like C and C++. It is similar to lint.

Comments, criticisms, new ideas, and other feedback is welcome.

Since I expect there may be a bit more bugs than normal, I will try to
put out another release in a few weeks. Please file bug reports
including problems with installation, false positives, &c on Source Forge.
You are welcome to use the mailling list to discuss anything pychecker
related, including ideas for new checks.

Changes from 0.8.14 to 0.8.15:

* Fix spurious warning about catching string exceptions
* Don't barf if there is # -*- encoding: ... -*- lines and unicode strings
* setup.py was rewritten to honor --root, --home, etc options
* Fix internal error on processing nested scopes
* Fix constant tuples in Python 2.4
* Don't warn about implicit/explicit returns in Python 2.4, we can't tell
* Fix crash when __slots__ was an instance w/o __len__
* Fix bug that declared {}.pop to only take one argument, it takes 1 or 2
* Fix spurious warning when using tuples for exceptions
* Fix spurious warning <stack> / <stack>
* Fix spurious warnings for sets module about __cmp__, __hash__
* Changed abstract check to require raising NotImplementedError
rather than raising any error
* Fix spurious warnings in Python 2.4 for Using is (not) None warnings
* Fix spurious warnings for some instances of No class attribute found
* Fix spurious warnings for implicit returns when using nested functions

PyChecker is available on Source Forge:
Web page: http://pychecker.sourceforge.net/
Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pychecker/
Mailing List: (e-mail address removed)

Neal

Al Christians

Neal said:
[...]

Not to complain, as this is a very useful one-of-a-kind tool, but it
does appear to use more memory than I can imagine how when you run it on
a substantial program. Like a few kilobytes per line of code, maybe.
It's slow, too, but that's ok for the usefulness of it, but trying to
let it run and do something else with someone else's code bloat (like MS
Word or something) in another window leads to something
indistinguishable from system meltdown. Any reason for hope of future
improvements in this regard?

Al