PyCon Australia 2010 update

Discussion in 'Python' started by Richard Jones, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. Hi everyone,

    Here's some updates for PyCon Australia 2010, to be held at the Sydney
    Masonic Center over the weekend of June 26 and 27.

    1. Registration is now open
    2. Keynotes announced
    3. Call For Proposals proceeds
    4. Several sponsors confirmed

    Please pass this message on to those you feel will find it
    interesting.

    Registration Is Now Open
    ========================

    We offer two levels of registration for PyCon Australia 2010:

    Full (Early Bird) - $165
    This is the registration rate for regular attendees. We're
    offering a limited Early Bird rate for the first 50 to
    registration. Once the Early Bird slots are filled
    registration will increase to $220.

    Full registration includes one seat at the conference dinner
    on Saturday night.

    Student - $44
    For students able to present a valid student card we're offering
    this reduced rate. Student registrations do not include a seat
    at the conference dinner.

    Additional seats at the conference dinner may be purchased for $77
    each.

    All prices include GST.

    Information about the registration process is on the PyCon Australia
    website.

    Register here: http://pycon-au.org/reg

    Keynotes Announced
    ==================

    We're pleased to announce the keynote line-up for PyCon Australia 2010.

    Saturday: Mark Pesce

    "Mark Pesce, one of the early pioneers in Virtual Reality is a
    writer, researcher and teacher. The co-inventor of VRML, he is
    the author of five books and numerous papers on the future of
    technology." - Wikipedia

    Saturday evening dinner: Anthony Baxter

    Anthony Baxter has been involved in the open source community
    for more than a decade, largely working in Python and on
    Python. He's working for Google now.

    Sunday: Nick Hodge

    Nick Hodge is a Professional Geek at Microsoft in Australia.
    Professional Geek is a polite way of saying he does stuff with
    software running on computers. Previously, he has worked for
    Adobe and Apple.

    Call For Proposals
    ==================

    We've had a great response to the Call For Proposals but there's
    still time left and plenty of program to fill.

    Presentation subjects may range from reports on open source,
    academic and commercial projects to tutorials and case studies.
    As long as a presentation is interesting and potentially useful
    to the Python community, it will be considered for inclusion in
    the program.

    We're especially interested in short presentations that will teach
    conference-goers something new and useful. Can you show attendees
    how to use a module? Explore a Python language feature? Package
    an application?

    Submit your proposal here: http://pycon-au.org/cfp

    Sponsors Confirmed

    We have confirmed several sponsors for the conference:

    Gold: Microsoft <http://www.microsoft.com.au/>
    Silver: Anchor <http://anchor.com.au/>
    Silver: Thousand Parsec Project <http://thousandparsec.net/>
    In Kind: Linux Australia <http://linux.org.au/>

    Thanks to our sponsors for helping make the event a reality.

    Richard Jones
    PyCon Australia 2010
    Richard Jones, Apr 22, 2010