PyCon signature advertising

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Holden, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Steve Holden

    Steve Holden Guest

    You will note that I have changed my signature for newsgroups to include
    a plug for PyCon. I would very much appreciate any similar changes that
    c.l.py readers felt able to make to help get the word out that PyCon is
    *the* place to be for Python users and developers.

    I appreciate that not everyone has control over their .sig, and that
    some people find advertising of this crassly commercial nature a little
    distasteful. If either of these is the case, please simply ignore this
    message (though you should, of course, still come to PyCon :)

    Every little helps, however, and I'd like my third (and final) year as
    chairman to see the biggest and (much more importantly) best PyCon ever.
    I hope to meet as many of you as possible in DC, March 23-25 (and during
    the four-day sprint preceding the main event).

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Meet the Python developers and your c.l.py favorites
    Come to PyCon!!!! http://www.python.org/pycon/2005/

    Steve Holden, Feb 1, 2005

  2. Steve Holden wrote:

    > I appreciate that not everyone has control over their .sig,

    Take control of your sigs, my sisters and brothers! Viva la
    Revolution! Follow the Steve into the heat and light of PyCon. You can
    achieve enlightenment if only you go to the District on the Eastern Edge
    of the new continents when the spring arrives. It is only there that
    all will be revealed. It is only there that you shall find peace.

    Joy to the Python world!
    Mike

    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    http://www.vrplumber.com
    http://blog.vrplumber.com
    PyCon is coming...

    Mike C. Fletcher, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Steve Holden

    Steve Holden Guest

    Mike C. Fletcher wrote:

    > Steve Holden wrote:
    >
    >> I appreciate that not everyone has control over their .sig,

    > Take control of your sigs, my sisters and brothers! Viva la
    > Revolution! Follow the Steve into the heat and light of PyCon. You can
    > achieve enlightenment if only you go to the District on the Eastern Edge
    > of the new continents when the spring arrives. It is only there that
    > all will be revealed. It is only there that you shall find peace.
    >
    > Joy to the Python world!
    > Mike

    > Mike C. Fletcher
    > Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    > http://www.vrplumber.com
    > http://blog.vrplumber.com
    > PyCon is coming...

    That's the spirit! Of course, a URL wouldn't hurt ;-)

    backing-away-smiling-ly y'rs - steve
    Come to PyCon DC 2005 http://www.python.org/pycon/2005/
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/

    Steve Holden, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Steve Holden

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mike C. Fletcher" <> wrote:

    > Steve Holden wrote:
    >
    > > I appreciate that not everyone has control over their .sig,

    > Take control of your sigs, my sisters and brothers! Viva la
    > Revolution! Follow the Steve into the heat and light of PyCon. You can
    > achieve enlightenment if only you go to the District on the Eastern Edge
    > of the new continents when the spring arrives. It is only there that
    > all will be revealed. It is only there that you shall find peace.
    >
    > Joy to the Python world!
    > Mike

    And the smallest child asked:

    Why is this language different from all other languages?.

    In all other languages, we are driven to declare our variables in a static
    manner, as surely as the compiler compels us to know their types ahead of
    time, and be forced to invoke the power of the reinterpret_cast whenever we
    need to deviate from the straight path laid out for us. Why do we not in
    this language?

    In all other languages, we may indent as we please, depending on the twin
    angels of the curly-brace and the semicolon to discern the true meaning
    from the meanderings of our code across the pages of our printouts. Why do
    we indent with tabs as rigidly as the rows of corn in our fields in this
    language?

    In all other languages, we omit explicit references to self, trusting to
    context to determine the scope of our variables. Why in this language do
    we speak our own name with overbearing monotony each time we refer to an
    instance variable?

    In all other languages, we are forced to choose between object orientation
    and procedural code and bear the burden of our choice all through the long
    days of the project lifecycle. Why in this language are we free to mix
    paradigms, even to the point of using functional programming constructs
    only whenever they seem cool and useful without fear of retribution from
    the methodology police?

    Then the smallest child was silent, and the old man began to speak.

    Roy Smith, Feb 1, 2005