PyEphem on Win32 -- 2nd try

Guest

John Roth

A quick look at the site, and following the link to
the XEphem site reveals that the Windows port
of XEphem uses Cygwin. AFAIK, that's not
compatible with the usual CPython implementation.

Again, AFAIK, you'll either have to use a Python
port compiled under Cygwin, or you'll have to
find a Windows port compiled with VS 6 or
higher.

Someone who knows more about those
issues will have to take it from here.

John Roth

drobinow

Has anyone run the PyEphem ephemeris application under WinXP?
http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/projects/pyephem.html
I have compiled it with Visual Studio 6 and it crashes Python with a
simple

Identical code works fine under Linux. I suspect that the problem has
to do with a parser built into the c shell for the c code that the
app wraps around. However, I am not good enough at c to spot the
error.

I had the same problem with Python 2.4. Dates appear to need a
trailing space.

ephem.date('1994/7/16 ')
works for me.

I believe the following code in ephem.c is responsible:
if (conversions == -1 || !conversions ||
(conversions == 1 && s[dchars] != '\0') ||
(conversions == 2 && s[tchars] != '\0')) {
PyErr_SetString(PyExc_ValueError,
"your date string does not seem to have "
"year/month/day followed optionally by "
"hours:minutes:seconds");

This may be a VC versus gcc issue. It would be interesting to see if a
Mingw compile would help here.