pyExcelerator - Can I read and modify an existing Excel-WorkBook?

Marco Aschwanden

Hi

I would like to
1. import an existing Excel-sheet (a template)
2. and add some data to it
3. and save it under a different name afterwards.

To me it seems, that pyExcelerator does not support the reading for
modification of an Excel-sheet. It allows only the "parse_xls" but I would
like to keep the "formatting" in the template.

Did I miss a "load", "read" or "open" function in pyExcelerator that would
hand me back a WorkBook?

Greetings,
Marco

Larry Bates

Marco said:
Hi

I would like to
1. import an existing Excel-sheet (a template)
2. and add some data to it
3. and save it under a different name afterwards.

To me it seems, that pyExcelerator does not support the reading for
modification of an Excel-sheet. It allows only the "parse_xls" but I
would like to keep the "formatting" in the template.

Did I miss a "load", "read" or "open" function in pyExcelerator that
would hand me back a WorkBook?

Greetings,
Marco
If you are on Windows, you may find using COM interface to
actual Excel application easier.

-Larry Bates

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

I'm pretty sure it doesn't support reading an existing document. That
would be useful.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

rbsharp

Hello,
I agree that it would be nice to use one package to read and modify an
Excel Sheet. I have only had to do either one or the other, read a
sheet and use the data for something else, or export data to an
Excel-Sheet. Perhaps you might like to look at xlrd:

http://www.lexicon.net/sjmachin/xlrd.htm

It works fines as far as reading Excel is concerned.

Greetings,

Richard Sharp