    have to download and install.

    Thanks very much in advance for any direction.

    Terry
    enquiring mind, Apr 1, 2007

  2. En Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:37:16 -0300, enquiring mind <"enquiring
    mind"@braindead.com> escribió:

    > Running 2.4.1 Python (learning)
    > Running SUSE Linux 10
    >
    > Am learning from a new books that mostly deals with windows python and
    > Pygames called "Game Programming" by Randy Harris (2007) His books
    > references Python 2.4.2 and Pygame 1.7.1 with these comments:
    >
    > "If you are using a Linux machine, you probably won't have the simple
    > installer that came with the windows version. Follow the instructions
    > at http://pygame.org/install. You may have to run a couple of scripts
    > to make everything work, but just follow the directions and you will be
    > fine."
    >
    > Could anybody suggest or make a helpful comment in view of what
    > information I have supplied. At Chapter 5 is where the Pygame module is
    > introduced so I have a little time before I have to figure out what I
    > have to download and install.

    First: read that page.
    I don't use SUSE myself, but the first hit on Google for "pygame SUSE"
    goes into the Novell site, and SUSE 10.1 appears to include pygame
    1.7.1release14 (or at least, you should be able to download and install
    the RPM from Novell)

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Apr 1, 2007

  3. enquiring mind

    hlubenow Guest

    enquiring mind wrote:

    > Running 2.4.1 Python (learning)
    > Running SUSE Linux 10
    >
    > At Chapter 5 is where the Pygame module is
    > introduced so I have a little time before I have to figure out what I
    > have to download and install.

    Are you asking for advice how to install pygame on SuSE 10 ?
    Well, that's easy:

    python-pygame....rpm comes with SuSE.
    Just install it with YaST2; the additional packages it
    needs (like libSDL) are installed automatically then.
    So you don't have to download any packages from www.pygame.org.

    Another hint: If sound in pygame doesn't work, try

    export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa

    right before starting your script.

    H.
    hlubenow, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Gabriel Genellina wrote:

    > En Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:37:16 -0300, enquiring mind <"enquiring
    > mind"@braindead.com> escribió:
    >
    > > Running 2.4.1 Python (learning)
    > > Running SUSE Linux 10
    > >
    > > Am learning from a new books that mostly deals with windows python and
    > > Pygames called "Game Programming" by Randy Harris (2007) His books
    > > references Python 2.4.2 and Pygame 1.7.1 with these comments:
    > >
    > > "If you are using a Linux machine, you probably won't have the simple
    > > installer that came with the windows version. Follow the instructions
    > > at http://pygame.org/install. You may have to run a couple of scripts
    > > to make everything work, but just follow the directions and you will be
    > > fine."
    > >
    > > Could anybody suggest or make a helpful comment in view of what
    > > information I have supplied. At Chapter 5 is where the Pygame module is
    > > introduced so I have a little time before I have to figure out what I
    > > have to download and install.

    > First: read that page.
    > I don't use SUSE myself, but the first hit on Google for "pygame SUSE"
    > goes into the Novell site, and SUSE 10.1 appears to include pygame
    > 1.7.1release14 (or at least, you should be able to download and install
    > the RPM from Novell)
    >
    > --
    > Gabriel Genellina

    Thanks, Gabriel. I only googled pygame and not SUSE. The next post
    says it is
    already included so I will ask my programmer buddy to help me.
    enquiring mind, Apr 2, 2007
  5. hlubenow wrote:

    > enquiring mind wrote:
    >
    > > Running 2.4.1 Python (learning)
    > > Running SUSE Linux 10
    > >
    > > At Chapter 5 is where the Pygame module is
    > > introduced so I have a little time before I have to figure out what I
    > > have to download and install.

    > Are you asking for advice how to install pygame on SuSE 10 ?
    > Well, that's easy:
    >
    > python-pygame....rpm comes with SuSE.
    > Just install it with YaST2; the additional packages it
    > needs (like libSDL) are installed automatically then.
    > So you don't have to download any packages from www.pygame.org.
    >
    > Another hint: If sound in pygame doesn't work, try
    >
    > export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
    >
    > right before starting your script.
    >
    > H.

    Thank you very much. A buddy installed SUSE 10 in Dec. for me so I
    shall ask him to look for rpm which I understand from your post includes
    pygame. You have no idea how much I appreciate your information.
    enquiring mind, Apr 2, 2007
  6. enquiring mind

    hlubenow Guest

    enquiring mind wrote:

    > Thank you very much. A buddy installed SUSE 10 in Dec. for me so I
    > shall ask him to look for rpm which I understand from your post includes
    > pygame. You have no idea how much I appreciate your information.

    My pleasure.

    By the way:

    It would be quite easy to install it yourself, too. Here's how:

    If you use KDE, click on the start-menu-button and go to
    System/ControlCenter(YaST) there. You're asked for your root-password.
    Enter it and YaST2 appears (it is SuSE's graphical installation tool). Click
    on Software/Software installation. After a while a search-field appears.
    Enter "python-pygame" there and click on "search". It should be shown in
    the right window. Click on the rectangle left of it and press "keep
    changes" (or "ok" or so) in the right corner at the bottom. You should be
    asked to insert some CD/DVD then. Do it, wait a while and pygame should
    have been installed.

    It is really not much more difficult than on Windows.

    See you

    H.
    hlubenow, Apr 2, 2007