Pygame w/ GUI

Discussion in 'Python' started by PatrickMinnesota, Jan 10, 2008.

  1. I know this isn't strictly a Python question, but I'm betting some
    here might be able to give me a hint.

    I have a few graphical programs doing some 2D data visualization using
    simple Pygame code for pseudo real-time animation. It's running
    under windows XP right now, but eventually it'll need to be cross-
    platform. As it is right now, it probably is, I just haven't tried it
    anywhere but XP.

    Now I want to wrap some simple GUI functions around it. I'm looking
    for some buttons, a text field or two and file system selection of
    data files. I figure many have done this and there is a better
    solution than to use Pygame constructs to implement such things.

    My question: I'm not seeing much support in Pygame for that stuff.
    It seems I should build buttons and file browsing in some other
    toolkit. Is that true? Or am I just to early on in the Pygame docs
    to see solutions?

    If I should use something else, am I going to be able to use Tkinter
    or WxPython in conjunction with my Pygame code? Or is there something
    else I should be looking at?

    Oh, and I'm running Python 2.5.1

    Thanks for any thoughts.

    PatrickMinnesota, Jan 10, 2008

  2. PatrickMinnesota wrote:
    > I know this isn't strictly a Python question, but I'm betting some
    > here might be able to give me a hint.
    >
    > I have a few graphical programs doing some 2D data visualization using
    > simple Pygame code for pseudo real-time animation. It's running
    > under windows XP right now, but eventually it'll need to be cross-
    > platform. As it is right now, it probably is, I just haven't tried it
    > anywhere but XP.
    >
    > Now I want to wrap some simple GUI functions around it. I'm looking
    > for some buttons, a text field or two and file system selection of
    > data files. I figure many have done this and there is a better
    > solution than to use Pygame constructs to implement such things.
    >
    > My question: I'm not seeing much support in Pygame for that stuff.
    > It seems I should build buttons and file browsing in some other
    > toolkit. Is that true? Or am I just to early on in the Pygame docs
    > to see solutions?
    >
    > If I should use something else, am I going to be able to use Tkinter
    > or WxPython in conjunction with my Pygame code? Or is there something
    > else I should be looking at?
    >
    > Oh, and I'm running Python 2.5.1
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts.

    I do not have experience using pygame, but you can look at:

    http://pyui.sourceforge.net/

    Creates an user interface with pygame as a possible back end.

    Hope this helps.

    Adonis

    Adonis Vargas, Jan 10, 2008

  3. PatrickMinnesota

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:10:03 -0800, PatrickMinnesota wrote:

    > I know this isn't strictly a Python question, but I'm betting some here
    > might be able to give me a hint.
    >
    > I have a few graphical programs doing some 2D data visualization using
    > simple Pygame code for pseudo real-time animation. It's running under
    > windows XP right now, but eventually it'll need to be cross- platform.
    > As it is right now, it probably is, I just haven't tried it anywhere but
    > XP.
    >
    > Now I want to wrap some simple GUI functions around it. I'm looking for
    > some buttons, a text field or two and file system selection of data
    > files. I figure many have done this and there is a better solution than
    > to use Pygame constructs to implement such things.
    >
    > My question: I'm not seeing much support in Pygame for that stuff. It
    > seems I should build buttons and file browsing in some other toolkit.
    > Is that true? Or am I just to early on in the Pygame docs to see
    > solutions?

    I've used pgu once and it worked ok. pgu is a PyGame utility kit which
    includes a GUI interface; pretty good tutorial on the site, too.

    > If I should use something else, am I going to be able to use Tkinter or
    > WxPython in conjunction with my Pygame code? Or is there something else
    > I should be looking at?

    Not recommended, though some have done it. SDL (which PyGame is based
    upon) likes to control the event loop, same as most GUIs do. Plus it's
    not straightforward to integrate the SDL window into the widget systems.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Jan 10, 2008