Pygame w/ GUI

PatrickMinnesota

I know this isn't strictly a Python question, but I'm betting some
here might be able to give me a hint.

I have a few graphical programs doing some 2D data visualization using
simple Pygame code for pseudo real-time animation. It's running
under windows XP right now, but eventually it'll need to be cross-
platform. As it is right now, it probably is, I just haven't tried it
anywhere but XP.

Now I want to wrap some simple GUI functions around it. I'm looking
for some buttons, a text field or two and file system selection of
data files. I figure many have done this and there is a better
solution than to use Pygame constructs to implement such things.

My question: I'm not seeing much support in Pygame for that stuff.
It seems I should build buttons and file browsing in some other
toolkit. Is that true? Or am I just to early on in the Pygame docs
to see solutions?

If I should use something else, am I going to be able to use Tkinter
or WxPython in conjunction with my Pygame code? Or is there something
else I should be looking at?

Oh, and I'm running Python 2.5.1

Thanks for any thoughts.

Adonis Vargas

PatrickMinnesota said:
[...]

I do not have experience using pygame, but you can look at:

http://pyui.sourceforge.net/

Creates an user interface with pygame as a possible back end.

Hope this helps.

Adonis

Carl Banks

[...]

I've used pgu once and it worked ok. pgu is a PyGame utility kit which
includes a GUI interface; pretty good tutorial on the site, too.

If I should use something else, am I going to be able to use Tkinter or
WxPython in conjunction with my Pygame code? Or is there something else
I should be looking at?

Not recommended, though some have done it. SDL (which PyGame is based
upon) likes to control the event loop, same as most GUIs do. Plus it's
not straightforward to integrate the SDL window into the widget systems.

Carl Banks