PyINI : Cross-Platform INI parser

SeSe

hi, every one,

I started a opensource project PyINI for corss-platform *.ini parsing at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyini/

I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with some
extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also made a
c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

Yours,
SeSe

Giovanni Bajo

SeSe said:
hi, every one,

I started a opensource project PyINI for corss-platform *.ini parsing
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyini/

I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with
some extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also
made a c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

The most useful feature would be to be able to write INI files back without
affecting their formatting, without removing user commands, etc. This is what
Windows APIs do, and it is what I am missing from most INI parsing libraries
out there.

Thomas Heller

Giovanni Bajo said:
The most useful feature would be to be able to write INI files back without
affecting their formatting, without removing user commands, etc. This is what
Windows APIs do, and it is what I am missing from most INI parsing libraries
out there.

You can easily access the windows apis either with pywin32, or with
ctypes for those functions that aren't wrapped in pywin32.

Thomas

Fuzzyman

Giovanni said:
The most useful feature would be to be able to write INI files back without
affecting their formatting, without removing user commands, etc. This is what
Windows APIs do, and it is what I am missing from most INI parsing libraries
out there.

ConfigObj easily writes back, files but doesn't *yet* support the full
'ini' file spec (empty values and split lines it doesn't yet support).
These are targetted for next release.

What aspects of formatting do you want to keep, and I'll try and
include them ?

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/configobj.html

Regards,

Fuzzy

Peter Maas

SeSe said:
I started a opensource project PyINI for corss-platform *.ini parsing at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyini/

I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with some
extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also made a
c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

I suggest that you have a look at Tim Daneliuk's tconfpy serving a
similar purpose. Perhaps you can join forces.

I'd like to see a configuration tool that for Python programmers
is as easy as config.py, i.e. you you have config object and can
write/read it to/from some storage, e.g.

- .ini files
- Java config files
- xml files
- LDAP server
- win32 registry
- ...

It would be nice to make this not a Python only thing but accessible
by other languages like Perl, Ruby, Java, C/C++ ...

I think that a new config utility is worth the effort if it has the
potential to put an end to roll-your-own config formats and parsers.

Giovanni Bajo

Thomas said:
You can easily access the windows apis either with pywin32, or with
ctypes for those functions that aren't wrapped in pywin32.

Sure, but we were speaking of doing that in a portable library.