    c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

    Yours,
    SeSe

    SeSe, Feb 11, 2005

  2. SeSe wrote:

    > hi, every one,
    >
    > I started a opensource project PyINI for corss-platform *.ini parsing
    > at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyini/
    >
    > I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with
    > some extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also
    > made a c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

    The most useful feature would be to be able to write INI files back without
    affecting their formatting, without removing user commands, etc. This is what
    Windows APIs do, and it is what I am missing from most INI parsing libraries
    out there.
    --
    Giovanni Bajo

    Giovanni Bajo, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Dalius Dobravolskas, Feb 11, 2005
  4. "Giovanni Bajo" <> writes:

    > SeSe wrote:
    >
    >> hi, every one,
    >>
    >> I started a opensource project PyINI for corss-platform *.ini parsing
    >> at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyini/
    >>
    >> I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with
    >> some extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also
    >> made a c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

    > The most useful feature would be to be able to write INI files back without
    > affecting their formatting, without removing user commands, etc. This is what
    > Windows APIs do, and it is what I am missing from most INI parsing libraries
    > out there.

    You can easily access the windows apis either with pywin32, or with
    ctypes for those functions that aren't wrapped in pywin32.

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Feb 11, 2005
  5. SeSe

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Giovanni Bajo wrote:
    > SeSe wrote:
    >
    > > hi, every one,
    > >
    > > I started a opensource project PyINI for corss-platform *.ini

    parsing
    > > at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyini/
    > >
    > > I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with
    > > some extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also
    > > made a c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

    > The most useful feature would be to be able to write INI files back

    without
    > affecting their formatting, without removing user commands, etc. This

    is what
    > Windows APIs do, and it is what I am missing from most INI parsing

    libraries
    > out there.
    > --
    > Giovanni Bajo

    ConfigObj easily writes back, files but doesn't *yet* support the full
    'ini' file spec (empty values and split lines it doesn't yet support).
    These are targetted for next release.

    What aspects of formatting do you want to keep, and I'll try and
    include them ?

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/configobj.html

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Feb 11, 2005
  6. SeSe

    Peter Maas Guest

    SeSe schrieb:
    > I started a opensource project PyINI for corss-platform *.ini parsing at
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyini/
    >
    > I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with some
    > extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also made a
    > c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

    I suggest that you have a look at Tim Daneliuk's tconfpy serving a
    similar purpose. Perhaps you can join forces.

    I'd like to see a configuration tool that for Python programmers
    is as easy as config.py, i.e. you you have config object and can
    write/read it to/from some storage, e.g.

    - .ini files
    - Java config files
    - xml files
    - LDAP server
    - win32 registry
    - ...

    It would be nice to make this not a Python only thing but accessible
    by other languages like Perl, Ruby, Java, C/C++ ...

    I think that a new config utility is worth the effort if it has the
    potential to put an end to roll-your-own config formats and parsers.

    Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Tel +49-241-93878-0

    Peter Maas, Feb 11, 2005
  7. SeSe

    Nick Coghlan Guest

    Nick Coghlan, Feb 11, 2005
  8. Thomas Heller wrote:

    >>> I have released a simple alpha version, which can read *.ini, with
    >>> some extended features such as "key=value1,value2,value3". I also
    >>> made a c++ binding to PyINI with elmer toolkit.

    >> The most useful feature would be to be able to write INI files back
    >> without affecting their formatting, without removing user commands,
    >> etc. This is what Windows APIs do, and it is what I am missing from
    >> most INI parsing libraries out there.

    > You can easily access the windows apis either with pywin32, or with
    > ctypes for those functions that aren't wrapped in pywin32.

    Sure, but we were speaking of doing that in a portable library.
    --
    Giovanni Bajo

    Giovanni Bajo, Feb 13, 2005