PyKDE/PyQT/SIP

Sam

Hey people,

I am trying to install these modules to play around with KDE panel
applets, but I am beginning to think it's too much trouble to be worth it.

I've installed PyQT (as well as the PyQT-devel rpm, which is apparently
needed if I install PyQT from an rpm), PyKDE and the sip module. When I
run the importTest.py script that comes with PyKDE, I get this:

-------------------------------------
Testing PyKDE module imports

dcop
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/dcop.py:22: RuntimeWarning: Python C
API version mismatch for module libsip: This Python has API version
1012, module libsip has version 1011.
import libsip
kdecore
kdesu
kdefx
kdeui
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "importTest.py", line 7, in ?
exec ("import " + mod)
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/kdeui.py", line 67, in ?
import libkdeuic
ImportError: libpython2.3.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory
---------------------------------

If anyone could give me an easy solution to the problem (or any
solution, but easy would be preferable ;) that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Sam.

Jim Bublitz

Sam said:
[...]

I'm not sure what this error is, but libkdeuicmodule should be
looking for libpythonize.so.1.0, which should be in /usr/lib and
symlinked some other places. The first thing to do is see if
libpythonize is in /usr/lib, and if the Makefile in
PyKDE-3.8/pythonize LFLAGS includes: -soname,libpythonize.so.1.
You can't do panel applets without this. It would also be useful
to do:

ldd /usr/lib/python/site-packages/libkdeuicmodule.so

or whatever the path to that lib is on your system. You can also
check the LIBS line in the kdeui/Makefile - should include
-lpythonize. It would also help to know what KDE version your
running, and which PyKDE release.

Either reply here or email me privately ([email protected])
and we should be able to get it straightened out. Let me know
what you find out.

PyKDE-3.8 was a pretty crappy release as far as installation goes
(it works great if you can get it installed though). The cause
of that has been resolved and the next release should be a lot
easier to install. However the next release won't include panel
applet support, since that's being split off into a separate
package - I'm not maintaining that at the moment and haven't
checked on the status lately, but I'll see what I can find out
there too.

Sorry for the problems.

Jim

Paul Boddie

Jim Bublitz said:
I'm not sure what this error is, but libkdeuicmodule should be
looking for libpythonize.so.1.0, which should be in /usr/lib and
symlinked some other places.

Isn't the problem really about the availability of the Python shared
library? I haven't checked to see if the .so file actually gets
produced in the Python 2.3.x installation process, but I do remember
having to manually create one for Python 2.2.3 on my system. It isn't
a big job to perform on Linux-based systems, but I can't remember the
appropriate magic command plus options - extended exposure to libtool
has made me jaded.
PyKDE-3.8 was a pretty crappy release as far as installation goes
(it works great if you can get it installed though).

It wasn't so bad. ;-) Although the low memory installation option
("-c-" or whatever it is) didn't work as advertised, causing my laptop
with "only" 128MB to work for 36 hours before I noticed what had
happened. But once up and running, there's some very nice stuff there
that I wish I had more time to experiment with.

Paul

P.S. Although I do know someone who has had time to do a bit more with
PyKDE. ;-)