pyodbc - problem passing None as parameter

Discussion in 'Python' started by Frank Millman, Oct 22, 2009.

  1. Hi all

    I posted the following to the pyodbc google group, but got no reply - it
    seems a bit quiet there. I hope someone here can help.

    I am using pyodbc version 2.1.6 on Windows Server 2003, connecting to Sql
    Server 2005.

    This works -

    >>> cur.execute('select ?', None)

    <pyodbc.Cursor object at 0x00A91368>
    >>> cur.fetchall()

    [(None, )]

    This does not work -

    >>> cur.execute('select * from ctrl.dirusers where todate is ?', None)

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> pyodbc.ProgrammingError: ('42000',
    "[42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax
    near @P1'. (102) (SQLExecDirectW); [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
    Driver][SQL Server]Statement(s) could not be prepared. (8180)")

    You may notice that the statement is not strictly DB-API 2.0 compliant.
    pyodbc has an extension that allows you to supply arguments directly,
    instead off putting them inside a tuple. I have tried with and without a
    tuple - the result is the same.

    Any assistance will be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Frank Millman