PyPy for dummies

Discussion in 'Python' started by Damjan, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. Damjan

    Damjan Guest

    ... like me.

    Ok, this is what I understood why PyPy is important.

    Writing programing languages and implementations (compilers, interpreters,
    JITs, etc) is hard. Not many people can do it from scratch and create
    something comparable to what's available today. But we need people with new
    aproaches, exploring new ideas (to boldly go where no hacker has gone
    before).

    Also, evolving the current Python language and implementation is not easy
    either. As it becomes more complex, it's hard for newcomers to comprehend
    it as a whole, and as it is still harder and harder to work on details
    without understanding the whole.

    What PyPy provides is, making this easier, thus allowing for:
    *rapid turnaround* of language features and implementation details - this
    enables easier experimentation and testing of wild ideas. Most of them will
    fail of course, but some will succed and some will succed and suprise
    (NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!).

    So that's how I see PyPy ... at the same time an interesting - let's call
    it - academic experiment, but also something very close to beeing usefull
    at the level of the current CPython.

    --
    damjan

    Damjan, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Damjan

    Paddy Guest

    On Mar 30, 1:10 am, Damjan <> wrote:
    > .. like me.
    >
    > Ok, this is what I understood why PyPy is important.
    >
    > Writing programing languages and implementations (compilers, interpreters,
    > JITs, etc) is hard. Not many people can do it from scratch and create
    > something comparable to what's available today. But we need people with new
    > aproaches, exploring new ideas (to boldly go where no hacker has gone
    > before).
    >
    > Also, evolving the current Python language and implementation is not easy
    > either. As it becomes more complex, it's hard for newcomers to comprehend
    > it as a whole, and as it is still harder and harder to work on details
    > without understanding the whole.
    >
    > What PyPy provides is, making this easier, thus allowing for:
    > *rapid turnaround* of language features and implementation details - this
    > enables easier experimentation and testing of wild ideas. Most of them will
    > fail of course, but some will succed and some will succed and suprise
    > (NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!).
    >
    > So that's how I see PyPy ... at the same time an interesting - let's call
    > it - academic experiment, but also something very close to beeing usefull
    > at the level of the current CPython.
    >
    > --
    > damjan

    It is also European funding for an open source project with sprints.
    I'm sure some eurocrat will be dissecting the project to see if it is
    aa good way to fund technical projects.

    - Paddy.

    Paddy, Mar 30, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    Paddy <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >It is also European funding for an open source project with sprints.
    >I'm sure some eurocrat will be dissecting the project to see if it is
    >aa good way to fund technical projects.
    >
    >- Paddy.

    PyPy-ers, what *are* the prospects in this direction?
    Are there write-ups planned that'll be of interest to
    computing people?

    Cameron Laird, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Damjan

    Georg Brandl Guest

    Cameron Laird schrieb:
    > In article <>,
    > Paddy <> wrote:
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >>It is also European funding for an open source project with sprints.
    >>I'm sure some eurocrat will be dissecting the project to see if it is
    >>aa good way to fund technical projects.
    >>
    >>- Paddy.
    >>

    > PyPy-ers, what *are* the prospects in this direction?
    > Are there write-ups planned that'll be of interest to
    > computing people?

    There is already a whole bunch of reports for the EU at

    http://codespeak.net/pypy/extradoc/eu-report/

    HTH,
    Georg

    Georg Brandl, Mar 31, 2007