PyPy Sprint Palma de Mallorca in January 2006

Carl Friedrich Bolz

Palma de Mallorca PyPy Sprint II: 23rd - 29th January 2006

The next PyPy sprint is scheduled to be in January 2006 in Palma De
Mallorca, Balearic Isles, Spain. We'll give newcomer-friendly
introductions. Its focus will mainly be on the current JIT work, garbage
collection, alternative threading models, logic programming and on
improving the interface with external functions. To learn more about the
new PyPy Python-in-Python implementation look here:

http://codespeak.net/pypy

Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

In Gothenburg we have made some first forays into the interesting topics
of phase 2 of the PyPy project. In Mallorca we will continue the work
that we started there.

The currently scheduled main topics are:

- Further work/experimentation with the Abstract Interpreter that was
started in Gothenburg.

- Integrating our garbage collection toolkit with the backends and the
code generation.

- Heading into the direction of adding logic programming to PyPy.

- Optimization work: our threading implementation is still incredibly
slow, we need to work on that. Furthermore there are still quite
some slow places in the interpreter that could be improved.

- If someone feels like it: although vastly improved our socket module
is still far from complete

- In general we need to improve the way we interface with external
functions.

Location & Accomodation
------------------------

The sprint will be held at the Palma University (UIB - Universitat de
les Illes Balears), in their GNU/Linux lab
(http://mnm.uib.es/phpwiki/AulaLinux). We are hosted by the Computer
Science department and Ricardo Galli is our contact person there,
helping with arranging facilities.

The University is located 7 km away from the central Palma. Busses to
the University departs from "Plaza de España" (which is a very central
location in Palma). Take bus 19 to the UIB campus. A ticket for one
urban trip costs 1 euro. You can also buy a card that is valid for 10
trips and costs 7.51 euros. Information about bus timetables and routes
can be found on:

http://www.a-palma.es.

A map over the UIB campus are can be found on:

http://www.uib.es/imagenes/planoCampus.html

The actual address is: 3r pis de l'Anselm Turmeda which can be found on
the UIB Campus map.

At "Plaza de España" there is a hostel (Hostal Residencia Terminus)
which has been recommended to us. It's cheap (ca 50 euros/double room
with bathroom). Some more links to accomodations (flats, student homes
and hotels):

http://www.lodging-in-spain.com/hotel/town/Islas_Baleares,Mallorca,Palma_de_Mallorca,1/

http://www.uib.es/fuguib/residencia/english/index.html

http://www.homelidays.com/EN-Holida...ESTINATION=Palma de Mallorca&ADR_PAYS=ES&ADR_

LOCALISATION=ES%20ISLASBALEARES%20MALLORCA

If you want to find a given street, you can search here:

http://www.callejeando.com/Pueblos/pueblo7_1.htm

To get to Palma De Mallorca almost all low fare airlines and travel
agencies have cheap tickets to get there. Information about Mallorca and
Palma (maps, tourist information, local transports, recommended air
lines, ferries and much more) can be found on:

http://www.palmademallorca.es/portalPalma/home.jsp

Comments on the weather: In January it is cold and wet on Mallorca

Average temperature: 8,4 degrees Celsius
Lowest temperature: 2 degrees Celsius
Highest temperature: 14,5 degrees Celsius
Average humidity rate: 77,6 %

So more time for coding and less time for sunbathing and beaches ;-)

Exact times
-----------

The public PyPy sprint is held Monday 23rd - Sunday 29th January 2006.
Hours will be from 10:00 until people have had enough. It's a good idea
to arrive a day before the sprint starts and leave a day later. In the
middle of the sprint there usually is a break day and it's usually ok to
take half-days off if you feel like it.

For this particular break day, Thursday, we are invited to the studio of
Ginés Quiñonero, a local artist and painter. Ginés have also been the
person helping us getting connections to UIB and providing much
appreciated help regarding accommodation and other logistical
information.

For those of you interested - here is his website where there also are
paintings showing his studio:

http://www.hermetex4.com/damnans/

For those interested in playing collectable card games, this will also
be an opportunity to get aquainted with V:TES which will be demoed by
Ginés and Beatrice and Sten Düring. For more information on this
cardgame - see: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php. (The Mallorca
sprint was organized through contacts within the V:TES community).

Network, Food, currency
------------------------

Currency is Euro.

Food is available in the UIB Campus area as well as cheap restaurants in
Palma.

You normally need a wireless network card to access the network, but we
can provide a wireless/ethernet bridge.

230V AC plugs are used in Mallorca.

Registration etc.pp.
and post a note that you want to come. Feel free to ask any questions
there! There also is a separate `Mallorca people`_ page tracking who is
already thought to come. If you have commit rights on codespeak then
you can modify yourself a checkout of

http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/mallorca-2006/people.txt

... _`PyPy sprint mailing list`:
... _`Mallorca people`: