PyQt and Python 2.4 - also WinXP LnF?

Simon John

After quite a while of wxPython I'm getting back into PyQt, mainly due
to the announcement by Trolltech that they will make a GPL version of
Qt4 for Windows (and Phil-T said he will make a PyQt to go with it
eventually!)

I'm currently using PyQt 3.12 that comes with the BlackAdder demo, it
seems to work fine with Python 2.3.5 except that it doesn't support the
WinXP look'n'feel, the QStyle "WindowsXP" isn't included, and using a
manifest file doesn't seem to fix this.

Does anyone know if the latest PyQt (3.13?) is built with this support?
I thought this had been supported since 3.10 or earlier, is it just the
BlackAdder build that's "broken"?

I'm writing an XMMS remote control program, so it will be GPL when
released (if it's ever good enough to release!) so I'm looking at
buying the commercial PyQt3 or BlackAdder whilst waiting for the GPL
PyQt4

Can I use the commercial PyQt without a commercial Qt - I guess I could
as long as I don't distribute the qt-mt333.dll? I have no use for Qt
itself, not interested in C++, so it seems a bit much to have to buy a
license just for a DLL!

Also, would I have to build it all myself or does Riverbank/TheKompany
provide binaries like PyQt 3.13 for Python 2.4, as I don't have Visual
Studio I can't build it myself.

OK, I'm off to check on my build of PyQt on my Fedora2/Python 2.4
machine ;-)

Joe Francia

Simon said:
Also, would I have to build it all myself or does Riverbank/TheKompany
provide binaries like PyQt 3.13 for Python 2.4, as I don't have Visual
Studio I can't build it myself.

There is a GPLed version of Qt that will build on win32, and free
compilers to build it with. Despite it coming from the KDE-Cygwin
project, it does not require Cygwin to build or run.

http://kscraft.sourceforge.net/convert_xhtml.php?doc=pyqt-windows-install.xhtml
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/compile-msvc-2005.php
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/compile-mingw.php

Peace,
Joe

John Lenton

I'm writing an XMMS remote control program, so it will be GPL when
released (if it's ever good enough to release!) so I'm looking at
buying the commercial PyQt3 or BlackAdder whilst waiting for the GPL
PyQt4

may I observe that if you're writing anything to do with xmms, you
stick to plain ol' gtk1?

--
John Lenton ([email protected]) -- Random fortune:
Hemos hallado al enemigo, y somos nosotros.

Simon John

Yeah I had a look at the Qt Free/Win project, but I think it offers me
less than the current official 3.12 from BlackAdder, which is only $80
without the hassle of following those convoluted build instructions (I
did try yesterday).

As far as XMMS/Gtk goes, it's a remote client for XMMS, designed to be
run across a network, so it doesn't really matter about using the same
toolkit. Plus all the problems with XMMS seem to lie with Gtk1
(whenever it crashes, the errors always come from Gtk!)

I was looking at the Gtk2 fork XMMS2, which seems to provide network
control like the InetCtrl plugin for XMMS1, but I'm still not keen on
Gtk as it looks so weird outside of Linux.

Phil Thompson

After quite a while of wxPython I'm getting back into PyQt, mainly due
to the announcement by Trolltech that they will make a GPL version of
Qt4 for Windows (and Phil-T said he will make a PyQt to go with it
eventually!)

I'm currently using PyQt 3.12 that comes with the BlackAdder demo, it
seems to work fine with Python 2.3.5 except that it doesn't support the
WinXP look'n'feel, the QStyle "WindowsXP" isn't included, and using a
manifest file doesn't seem to fix this.

Does anyone know if the latest PyQt (3.13?) is built with this support?
I thought this had been supported since 3.10 or earlier, is it just the
BlackAdder build that's "broken"?

PyQt supports the WindowsXP style if Qt has been built with it enabled.
I'm writing an XMMS remote control program, so it will be GPL when
released (if it's ever good enough to release!) so I'm looking at
buying the commercial PyQt3 or BlackAdder whilst waiting for the GPL
PyQt4

Can I use the commercial PyQt without a commercial Qt - I guess I could
as long as I don't distribute the qt-mt333.dll? I have no use for Qt
itself, not interested in C++, so it seems a bit much to have to buy a
license just for a DLL!

No. PyQt is supplied as a source package. You don't have the Qt .h files
needed to compile it. One point of the BlackAdder license is that you
can't use the bundled version of Qt to build C++ applications - even if
that C++ application is another version of PyQt.
Also, would I have to build it all myself or does Riverbank/TheKompany
provide binaries like PyQt 3.13 for Python 2.4, as I don't have Visual
Studio I can't build it myself.

We don't provide binaries, but the free MSVC, Borland and MinGW compilers
are all supported.
OK, I'm off to check on my build of PyQt on my Fedora2/Python 2.4
machine ;-)

Phil

Simon John

I've just read the Qt4 GPL for Windows will only support gcc (and maybe
MinGW) anyway, not BCC or VisualC++ (or it's free equivalents), so it
looks like it would be a daunting task to actually build PyQt....

See http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=9675

I guess the Qt used in PyQt from BlackAdder just wasn't built with XP
support, and if I can't use it to compile PyQt properly, then it's
worthless to me.

I guess a lot of this licensing crap will change when Qt4 GPL is
actually released, but it's still looking like commercial Qt is the
only "easy" way to go, and the Trolls are just making a "difficult" GPL
version to shut people up!

Simon John

I've just read the Qt4 GPL for Windows will only support gcc (and maybe
MinGW) anyway, not BCC or VisualC++ (or it's free equivalents), so it
looks like it would be a daunting task to actually build PyQt....

See http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=9675

I guess the Qt used in PyQt from BlackAdder just wasn't built with XP
support, and if I can't use it to compile PyQt properly, then it's
worthless to me.

I guess a lot of this licensing crap will change when Qt4 GPL is
actually released, but it's still looking like commercial Qt is the
only "easy" way to go, and the Trolls are just making a "difficult" GPL
version to shut people up!

Simon John

I've just got Qt 3.3.3 and PyQt 3.1.3 compiled for Python 2.4 using the
instructions for MinGW here:

http://kscraft.sourceforge.net/convert_xhtml.php?doc=pyqt-windows-install.xhtml

It was a pretty nasty experience, hacking python24.dll and patching
sip/PyQt, but i got it all working after about 4 hours! It still
doesn't support the XP LnF, but at least I have a non-limited
QtDesigner etc. now, and something I can distribute for Windows which
supports Python 2.4/QScintilla.

I couldn't get it to work with the free MS compiler (VC2003 command
line tools and 1.1 SDK) as they were missing libraries etc. I guess the
docs are referring to a full Visual Studio .NET 2003

Simon John

After building with MSVC6 (Python 2.3.5 and 2.4 versions) I've noticed
that the ToolTips don't seem to work in the GPL version.

MSVC6 is about twice as fast to build as MinGW.....

Eric Jardim

Simon John - Feb 10, 11:51 am:
I've just read the Qt4 GPL for Windows will only support gcc (and maybe
MinGW) anyway, not BCC or VisualC++ (or it's free equivalents), so it
looks like it would be a daunting task to actually build PyQt....

Why? I think that it is fair. Why a Free Software developer should buy
VC++ licenses to build free Qt? It is nonsense. "gcc" works under
Windows, and that is enough.

I guess a lot of this licensing crap will change when Qt4 GPL is
actually released, but it's still looking like commercial Qt is the
only "easy" way to go, and the Trolls are just making a "difficult" GPL
version to shut people up!

What is the matter with you? When Qt is released GPL for Windows, with
the support from Trolltech, if they do not give you a ".exe" version
of Qt, then someone should compile it. There is no need to compile it
every time.

I think Trolltech is right. If can afford Windows and VisualStudio, you
can also afford Qt. Or maybe you are a "pirate".

Eric Jardim

Simon John - Feb 13, 4:24 pm:
After building with MSVC6 (Python 2.3.5 and 2.4 versions) I've noticed
that the ToolTips don't seem to work in the GPL version.

Free (GPL) Qt3 port to Windows is not complete. They indeed need help
to conclude their job. And as Trolltech is not going to release Qt3
under GPL, to "encorage" people using Qt4, this work of porting is not
useless.

MSVC6 is about twice as fast to build as MinGW....

I think it is because they use precompiled headers. But I prefer to
wait rather than using MSVC.