PyQt Installation Problem on Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Saul Spatz, Nov 24, 2010.

  1. Saul Spatz

    Saul Spatz Guest

    Hi,

    I've been trying to install PyQt on Windows XP Pro so that I can try
    out eric ide. I used the binary windows installer for PyQt. I can
    run eric as administrator, but not with my ordinary user account. By
    running eric.bat with the --debug flag, I found that he crux of the
    problem is that if I type

    import PyQt4

    in the python shell, it works for both users, but if I type

    import PyQt4.QtCore

    it works for the administrator, but the non-privileged account gets
    the message

    In the file the file pyqtconfig.py from Python26\Lib\site-packages
    \PyQt4 I have the line

    'pyqt_config_args': '--confirm-license -b C:\\Python26\\Lib\\site-
    packages\\PyQt4\\bin',

    I checked with a friend who uses eric, and his file does not have the
    --confirm-license parameter. As far as we can tell, we followed the
    same installation procedures.

    By the way, I have tried this with python 3.1 on the same machine with
    similar results.

    I've blown a whole day playing with this, so I'd really appreciate any
    help you can give me.

    Saul Spatz, Nov 24, 2010

  2. On Wednesday 24 November 2010, 23:03:14 Saul Spatz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to install PyQt on Windows XP Pro so that I can try
    > out eric ide. I used the binary windows installer for PyQt. I can
    > run eric as administrator, but not with my ordinary user account. By
    > running eric.bat with the --debug flag, I found that he crux of the
    > problem is that if I type
    >
    > import PyQt4
    >
    > in the python shell, it works for both users, but if I type
    >
    > import PyQt4.QtCore
    >
    > it works for the administrator, but the non-privileged account gets
    > the message
    >
    > ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be
    > found.

    My WinXP installations are always a bit lacking, since I do work 97% of
    my time in Linux (and 2% on MacOSX), but Python 2.6.6 and PyQt 4.7.7 do
    work fine here as a user win XP SP3/i586. Things like what you describe
    usually point to broken installations (remaining manual build
    artefacts, unfinished installs, incomplete deinstallations, ...).
    Just uninstall Python and PyQt, remove everything below your Python base
    path, and start over (a registry check/cleanup might be worth, too).

    > In the file the file pyqtconfig.py from Python26\Lib\site-packages
    > \PyQt4 I have the line
    >
    > 'pyqt_config_args': '--confirm-license -b C:\\Python26\\Lib\\site-
    > packages\\PyQt4\\bin',
    >
    > I checked with a friend who uses eric, and his file does not have the
    > --confirm-license parameter. As far as we can tell, we followed the
    > same installation procedures.

    This is unrelated, since it is only a detail in the build process, but
    points to differing versions.

    > By the way, I have tried this with python 3.1 on the same machine
    > with similar results.
    >
    > I've blown a whole day playing with this, so I'd really appreciate
    > any help you can give me.

    Pete

    Hans-Peter Jansen, Nov 26, 2010