PyQT installation problems

Stelian Iancu

Hello all!

I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and installed
successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However, when I try to
install eric, I get the following error:

Sorry, please install PyQt.

I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and there I
tried import qt and I got the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 25, in ?
import libqtc
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so: undefined
symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv

I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the default Python (2.2.3) and Qt.

d.w. harks

Hello all!

I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and installed
successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However, when I try to
install eric, I get the following error:

Sorry, please install PyQt.

I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and there I
tried import qt and I got the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 25, in ?
import libqtc
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so: undefined
symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv

I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the default Python (2.2.3) and Qt.

I just got PyQt going on Mandrake, and it's a trick.

Best way I found was to go to http://www.rpmfind.net and grab the .src.rpm's
of PyQt and SIP, edit the .spec files to ensure that you're using the correct
Python version, and build from source (rpm -bb <specfile>).

Another way is to use the packages from pykde.sf.net, which are a bit older,
but seem to work fine.

dave

Stelian Iancu

Greg said:
First, there's a PyQT (actually called PyKDE) list for discussing these
problems and you might get a more insightful answer there.

Second, I've had problems exactly like that on machines when I tried to
use
the version of qt supplied with the distro. I'm not sure if I didn't get
all the development headers installed, etc, but I've never had a problem
when I compiled a new version of qt on the machine and then
compiled/linked
all the PyQt stuff against that new version. Just make sure you point all
the PyQt related compilations at the new version of qt.

Obviously, there's a lot of time/work involved in the solution above and
the PyQt mailing list might have a better answer, but this should be a
pretty failsafe solution...

Greg Fortune
Fortune Solutions

Well, that's what I did in the end. I compiled Qt 3.1.2 from sources and now
it works perfectly. Thanks!

John J. Lee

Greg Fortune said:
I've never had a problem
when I compiled a new version of qt on the machine and then compiled/linked [...]
Obviously, there's a lot of time/work involved in the solution above and the
[...]

And whether you do that or not, remember to compile PyQt using the -c
for concatenate (IIRC) switch -- huge reduction in compilation time.

John

reh

Stelian said:
Hello all!

I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and
installed successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However,
when I try to install eric, I get the following error:

Sorry, please install PyQt.

I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and
there I tried import qt and I got the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 25, in ?
import libqtc
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so:
undefined symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv

I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the default Python (2.2.3) and Qt.

Make sure you build them in the correct order.
Qscintilla
sip
PyQt

I had some kind of .so problem and Detlev mentioned to run ldconfig.
Problem solved. If it doesn't fix your problem, he'll probably be along
shortly.

Haven't been using it long, but eric and qt designer is pretty nice
stuff.