PyQT installation problems

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stelian Iancu, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Hello all!

    I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and installed
    successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However, when I try to
    install eric, I get the following error:

    Sorry, please install PyQt.

    I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and there I
    tried import qt and I got the following error:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 25, in ?
    import libqtc
    ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so: undefined
    symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv

    I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the default Python (2.2.3) and Qt.

    --
    Stelian Iancu
    Linux registered user 287835

    Be different. Think.

    Stelian Iancu, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Stelian Iancu

    d.w. harks Guest

    On Wednesday 20 August 2003 04:54 am, Stelian Iancu wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and installed
    > successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However, when I try to
    > install eric, I get the following error:
    >
    > Sorry, please install PyQt.
    >
    > I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and there I
    > tried import qt and I got the following error:
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    > File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 25, in ?
    > import libqtc
    > ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so: undefined
    > symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv
    >
    > I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the default Python (2.2.3) and Qt.

    I just got PyQt going on Mandrake, and it's a trick.

    Best way I found was to go to http://www.rpmfind.net and grab the .src.rpm's
    of PyQt and SIP, edit the .spec files to ensure that you're using the correct
    Python version, and build from source (rpm -bb <specfile>).

    Another way is to use the packages from pykde.sf.net, which are a bit older,
    but seem to work fine.

    dave

    --
    d.w. harks <> http://dwblog.psys.org

    d.w. harks, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Greg Fortune wrote:

    > First, there's a PyQT (actually called PyKDE) list for discussing these
    > problems and you might get a more insightful answer there.
    >
    > Second, I've had problems exactly like that on machines when I tried to
    > use
    > the version of qt supplied with the distro. I'm not sure if I didn't get
    > all the development headers installed, etc, but I've never had a problem
    > when I compiled a new version of qt on the machine and then
    > compiled/linked
    > all the PyQt stuff against that new version. Just make sure you point all
    > the PyQt related compilations at the new version of qt.
    >
    > Obviously, there's a lot of time/work involved in the solution above and
    > the PyQt mailing list might have a better answer, but this should be a
    > pretty failsafe solution...
    >
    > Greg Fortune
    > Fortune Solutions

    Well, that's what I did in the end. I compiled Qt 3.1.2 from sources and now
    it works perfectly. Thanks!

    Stelian Iancu, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Stelian Iancu

    John J. Lee Guest

    Greg Fortune <> writes:
    [...]
    > I've never had a problem
    > when I compiled a new version of qt on the machine and then compiled/linked

    [...]
    > Obviously, there's a lot of time/work involved in the solution above and the

    [...]

    And whether you do that or not, remember to compile PyQt using the -c
    for concatenate (IIRC) switch -- huge reduction in compilation time.

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 20, 2003
  5. Stelian Iancu

    reh Guest

    Stelian Iancu wrote:

    > Hello all!
    >
    > I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and
    > installed successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However,
    > when I try to install eric, I get the following error:
    >
    > Sorry, please install PyQt.
    >
    > I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and
    > there I tried import qt and I got the following error:
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    > File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 25, in ?
    > import libqtc
    > ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so:
    > undefined symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv
    >
    > I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the default Python (2.2.3) and Qt.

    Make sure you build them in the correct order.
    Qscintilla
    sip
    PyQt

    I had some kind of .so problem and Detlev mentioned to run ldconfig.
    Problem solved. If it doesn't fix your problem, he'll probably be along
    shortly.

    Haven't been using it long, but eric and qt designer is pretty nice
    stuff.

    --
    robert
    redhat 9.0