PyQt on MAC OS X

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael McGarry, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    can't get past configuring sip.

    I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.

    I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    unpacked it, ran

    python configure.py

    and got this error:

    Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.


    Any ideas?

    Michael
     
    Michael McGarry, Dec 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    > can't get past configuring sip.
    >
    > I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    > qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.
    >
    > I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    > http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    > unpacked it, ran
    >
    > python configure.py
    >
    > and got this error:
    >
    > Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    > 'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.
    >
    >
    > Any ideas?


    The Fink version of Qt isn't officially supported (the native version is),
    although there is a user contributed README.Fink (either with SIP or PyQt,
    can't remember which).

    Phil
     
    Phil Thompson, Dec 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Michael McGarry

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I've assembled a binary installer for the native version of PyQt. See
    http://www.wordtech-software.com/pyqt-mac.html

    I built it on Panther. Not sure if it will work on Jaguar, but you're
    welcome to give it a try.



    Michael McGarry wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    | can't get past configuring sip.
    |
    | I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    | qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.
    |
    | I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    | http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    | unpacked it, ran
    |
    | python configure.py
    |
    | and got this error:
    |
    | Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    | 'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.
    |
    |
    | Any ideas?
    |
    | Michael


    - --
    Cheers,

    Kevin Walzer, PhD
    WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
    http://www.wordtech-software.com
    http://www.smallbizmac.com
    http://www.kevin-walzer.com
    mailto:
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFBvb9CJmdQs+6YVcoRAsv2AJ4rkwZ2kO8kPcBKoZ5h1F8vEof+lwCeNO8n
    rK8yurwPQaJFH8yK6PlbOtg=
    =0LQg
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
     
    Kevin Walzer, Dec 13, 2004
    #3
  4. Kevin Walzer wrote:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > I've assembled a binary installer for the native version of PyQt. See
    > http://www.wordtech-software.com/pyqt-mac.html
    >
    > I built it on Panther. Not sure if it will work on Jaguar, but you're
    > welcome to give it a try.
    >
    >
    >
    > Michael McGarry wrote:
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    > | can't get past configuring sip.
    > |
    > | I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    > | qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.
    > |
    > | I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    > | http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    > | unpacked it, ran
    > |
    > | python configure.py
    > |
    > | and got this error:
    > |
    > | Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    > | 'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.
    > |
    > |
    > | Any ideas?
    > |
    > | Michael
    >
    >
    > - --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Kevin Walzer, PhD
    > WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
    > http://www.wordtech-software.com
    > http://www.smallbizmac.com
    > http://www.kevin-walzer.com
    > mailto:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
    > Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
    >
    > iD8DBQFBvb9CJmdQs+6YVcoRAsv2AJ4rkwZ2kO8kPcBKoZ5h1F8vEof+lwCeNO8n
    > rK8yurwPQaJFH8yK6PlbOtg=
    > =0LQg
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    >

    Kevin,

    thanks that did the trick!!!

    One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.

    Any ideas?

    Michael
     
    Michael McGarry, Dec 13, 2004
    #4
  5. In article <ONpvd.95971$EZ.74694@okepread07>,
    Michael McGarry <> wrote:

    > One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    > the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >


    If the application is not properly bundled you will see symptoms like
    this - perhaps this is the problem?
     
    glenn andreas, Dec 14, 2004
    #5
  6. glenn andreas wrote:
    > In article <ONpvd.95971$EZ.74694@okepread07>,
    > Michael McGarry <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    >>the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>

    >
    >
    > If the application is not properly bundled you will see symptoms like
    > this - perhaps this is the problem?

    What do you mean?
     
    Michael McGarry, Dec 14, 2004
    #6
  7. Michael McGarry

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Michael McGarry wrote:
    | Kevin Walzer wrote:
    |
    | I've assembled a binary installer for the native version of PyQt. See
    | http://www.wordtech-software.com/pyqt-mac.html
    |
    | I built it on Panther. Not sure if it will work on Jaguar, but you're
    | welcome to give it a try.
    |
    |
    |
    | Michael McGarry wrote:
    | | Hi,
    | |
    | | I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    | | can't get past configuring sip.
    | |
    | | I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    | | qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.
    | |
    | | I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    | | http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    | | unpacked it, ran
    | |
    | | python configure.py
    | |
    | | and got this error:
    | |
    | | Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    | | 'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.
    | |
    | |
    | | Any ideas?
    | |
    | | Michael
    |
    |
    |>
    | Kevin,

    | thanks that did the trick!!!

    | One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    | the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of
    weird.

    | Any ideas?

    | Michael

    Michael,

    Are you referring to the application you're developing, or the Eric3 IDE
    that I bundled? I've observed that Eric3 hesitates for a second before
    taking focus, though it eventually does if you click on the window. I've
    observed this with other Qt apps in general, including some of the other
    PyQt apps I've bundled on my own machine.

    If the window never takes focus at all, it might be something as basic
    as starting your application with "python" instead of "pythonw" if you
    are launching it from the command line. You need to use "pythonw" to
    correctly access the windowing system.

    An easy way to start your app wtih the correct python command is simply
    to double-click it instead of running it from terminal. That will
    automatically call pythonw.

    Hope this helps,
    Kevin



    - --
    Cheers,

    Kevin Walzer, PhD
    WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
    http://www.wordtech-software.com
    http://www.smallbizmac.com
    http://www.kevin-walzer.com
    mailto:
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFBvmgNJmdQs+6YVcoRAvyaAJ49ngIqK467Z+4KilzZd/EnPGveWgCfZcfb
    ot+z9Qf61R3ZhpqTRPAnnKc=
    =Z3Bw
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
     
    Kevin Walzer, Dec 14, 2004
    #7
  8. Michael McGarry

    whamoo Guest

    Michael McGarry <> wrote:

    >
    > thanks that did the trick!!!
    >
    > One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    > the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
    >
    > Any ideas?


    You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
    So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)

    --
    Whamoo www.rknet.it
    Powerd by: MacOsX, Gnu/Linux Debian Sarge,
    Amiga Os 3.9, Milk.
     
    whamoo, Dec 14, 2004
    #8
  9. whamoo wrote:
    > Michael McGarry <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>thanks that did the trick!!!
    >>
    >>One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    >>the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    >
    >
    > You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
    > So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)
    >

    Thanks using pythonw did the trick.

    I appreciate everyone's help.
     
    Michael McGarry, Dec 14, 2004
    #9
  10. Michael McGarry

    whamoo Guest

    dMichael McGarry <> wrote:

    > > You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
    > > So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)
    > >

    > Thanks using pythonw did the trick.
    >
    > I appreciate everyone's help.


    ;-) Happy programming with your mac and python


    --
    Whamoo www.rknet.it
    Powerd by: MacOsX, Gnu/Linux Debian Sarge,
    Amiga Os 3.9, Milk.
     
    whamoo, Dec 14, 2004
    #10
  11. On 14-dec-04, at 0:42, Michael McGarry wrote:
    > Kevin,
    >
    > thanks that did the trick!!!
    >
    > One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others
    > on the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind
    > of weird.
    >
    > Any ideas?


    Did you use pythonw to start your script? If you use the normal
    interpreter (the one named python) you've run into an annoying feature
    of the MacOS X display system, pythonw can be used to circumvent that
    feature.

    Ronald
     
    Ronald Oussoren, Dec 15, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ulysses
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    824
    Werner Schiendl
    Oct 22, 2003
  2. Kevin Walzer

    ANN: PyQt-Mac installer available

    Kevin Walzer, Nov 10, 2004, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    466
    Kevin Walzer
    Nov 10, 2004
  3. Kevin Walzer

    Update on PyQt-Mac forthcoming

    Kevin Walzer, Nov 10, 2004, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    299
    Kevin Walzer
    Nov 10, 2004
  4. Kevin Walzer
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    451
    Kevin Walzer
    Nov 19, 2004
  5. Michael McGarry

    PyQt on Mac OS X

    Michael McGarry, Dec 13, 2005, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    481
    Diez B. Roggisch
    Dec 13, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page