PySerial and termios

a b

I have a pain in the a** problem with pyserial- it works 90% of time
but on the 10% of time it thorows and termios.error exception with the
value (5, 'Input/output error') and i cannot get rid of it :(
The system works as follows:
A device sends out rs485 data -> rs485 to rs232 converter converts it -
an rs232->usb cable attatched to a computer reads the data. Until
now it hasn't bothered me too much since it hasn't been a lot of data
(every time i get this exception i unload the pl2303 module from
kernel, then reload it, open the com port and hope it won't happen
soon). But now the amount of data is getting bigger and the exceptions
in the log are quite bothering already so if anyone has a good idea
what could affect it i'd be very glad...
oh and the settings for the port opening are:
self.ser = serial.Serial(self.port, self.baudrate, rtscts=0,
xonxoff=0, timeout=0)

With best regards,
Tanel

Diez B. Roggisch

a said:
I have a pain in the a** problem with pyserial- it works 90% of time
but on the 10% of time it thorows and termios.error exception with the
value (5, 'Input/output error') and i cannot get rid of it :(
The system works as follows:
A device sends out rs485 data -> rs485 to rs232 converter converts it -
now it hasn't bothered me too much since it hasn't been a lot of data
(every time i get this exception i unload the pl2303 module from
kernel, then reload it, open the com port and hope it won't happen
soon). But now the amount of data is getting bigger and the exceptions
in the log are quite bothering already so if anyone has a good idea
what could affect it i'd be very glad...
oh and the settings for the port opening are:
self.ser = serial.Serial(self.port, self.baudrate, rtscts=0,
xonxoff=0, timeout=0)

Did you try a different usb2serial-converter? I've got plenty of them used
in the past few years, and frankly, they mostly suck. Big time.

With them, all kinds of timing-issues and other problems arose, and some
hardware refused to outright work with them.

So, I suggest you try & get a hold on as many usb2serial-converters you can
get from friends and colleagues, and try out which one works best.

There is nothing on the software-side you can do (short from lowering the
bps, as this might cover up for some issues due to relaxed timing. But I
had to cut down to like 2400 bps or some crap like that, which isn't really
usable)

Diez

Grant Edwards

I have a pain in the a** problem with pyserial- it works 90%
of time but on the 10% of time it thorows and termios.error
exception with the value (5, 'Input/output error') and i
cannot get rid of it :(

Sounds like faulty converter or a bug in the device driver to
me.
The system works as follows:
A device sends out rs485 data -> rs485 to rs232 converter converts it -
now it hasn't bothered me too much since it hasn't been a lot
of data (every time i get this exception i unload the pl2303
module from kernel, then reload it, open the com port

Does that get rid of the error? If so, then it's definitely a
problem with the converter or device-driver.
and hope it won't happen soon). But now the amount of data is
getting bigger and the exceptions in the log are quite
bothering already so if anyone has a good idea what could
affect it i'd be very glad... oh and the settings for the port
opening are: self.ser = serial.Serial(self.port,
self.baudrate, rtscts=0, xonxoff=0, timeout=0)

Unless you want to try to troubleshoot the device driver and
USB traffic, the only suggestion I have is to try different
converters and/or different versions of the driver.

Glazner

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! If Robert Di Niro
                                  at               assassinates Walter Slezak,

Try to use Portmon to see if your data is sent correctly.(if not, then
its the cable/converter)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx
or another port monitor tool for other OS.