    It is basically the same as PyQt (Qt bindings for Python), but
    licensed with the LGPL instead of GPL. The FAQ explains a bit more
    history. Looks like the end for PyQt if you ask me.

    rm, Oct 20, 2009

  2. rm

    rm Guest

    On Oct 20, 6:14 pm, Robert Kern <> wrote:
    > On 2009-10-20 16:48 PM, rm wrote:
    >
    > > Have you guys heard about PySide:

    > >http://www.pyside.org/

    > > It is basically the same as PyQt (Qt bindings for Python), but
    > > licensed with the LGPL instead of GPL.  The FAQ explains a bit more
    > > history.  Looks like the end for PyQt if you ask me.

    > Welcome to two months ago. :)
    >
    > PySide still needs a fair chunk of work to go before it could really be claimed
    > that it is a wholesale replacement for PyQt, but it looks like it will be a
    > compelling alternative.

    I did a search for PySide here and only saw the announcement. I was
    surprised that no discussion ensued, did I miss it. So, I assumed
    that not a lot of people knew about it and wanted to help spread the
    word and hear some opinions. But, what you say is probably right on
    the mark. Thanks.

    rm, Oct 21, 2009

  3. rm

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Oct 20, 6:45 pm, rm <> wrote:
    > On Oct 20, 6:14 pm, Robert Kern <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 2009-10-20 16:48 PM, rm wrote:

    > > > Have you guys heard about PySide:

    > > >http://www.pyside.org/

    > > > It is basically the same as PyQt (Qt bindings for Python), but
    > > > licensed with the LGPL instead of GPL.  The FAQ explains a bit more
    > > > history.  Looks like the end for PyQt if you ask me.

    > > Welcome to two months ago. :)

    > > PySide still needs a fair chunk of work to go before it could really be claimed
    > > that it is a wholesale replacement for PyQt, but it looks like it will be a
    > > compelling alternative.

    > I did a search for PySide here and only saw the announcement.  I was
    > surprised that no discussion ensued, did I miss it.  So, I assumed
    > that not a lot of people knew about it and wanted to help spread the
    > word and hear some opinions.  But, what you say is probably right on
    > the mark.  Thanks.

    One thing PySide has going against it is the shared library binaries
    are a lot larger than PyQT4's, because of its use of boost::python.
    Not a good thing for something that exists so that it can be put on a
    mobile device.

    Still, I see PySide being the eventual end of my GUI toolkit journeys.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Oct 21, 2009
  4. rm

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 2009-10-21 07:11 AM, Carl Banks wrote:

    > One thing PySide has going against it is the shared library binaries
    > are a lot larger than PyQT4's, because of its use of boost::python.
    > Not a good thing for something that exists so that it can be put on a
    > mobile device.

    I believe the consensus amongst the PySide devs is to move to the Shiboken
    wrapper generator which uses the raw CPython API. It still needs a lot of work,
    though.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."