PySide > PyQt

rm

Have you guys heard about PySide:

http://www.pyside.org/

It is basically the same as PyQt (Qt bindings for Python), but
licensed with the LGPL instead of GPL. The FAQ explains a bit more
history. Looks like the end for PyQt if you ask me.

rm

Welcome to two months ago. :)

PySide still needs a fair chunk of work to go before it could really be claimed
that it is a wholesale replacement for PyQt, but it looks like it will be a
compelling alternative.

I did a search for PySide here and only saw the announcement. I was
surprised that no discussion ensued, did I miss it. So, I assumed
that not a lot of people knew about it and wanted to help spread the
word and hear some opinions. But, what you say is probably right on
the mark. Thanks.

Carl Banks

I did a search for PySide here and only saw the announcement.  I was
surprised that no discussion ensued, did I miss it.  So, I assumed
that not a lot of people knew about it and wanted to help spread the
word and hear some opinions.  But, what you say is probably right on
the mark.  Thanks.

One thing PySide has going against it is the shared library binaries
are a lot larger than PyQT4's, because of its use of boost::python.
Not a good thing for something that exists so that it can be put on a
mobile device.

Still, I see PySide being the eventual end of my GUI toolkit journeys.

Carl Banks

Robert Kern

One thing PySide has going against it is the shared library binaries
are a lot larger than PyQT4's, because of its use of boost::python.
Not a good thing for something that exists so that it can be put on a
mobile device.

I believe the consensus amongst the PySide devs is to move to the Shiboken
wrapper generator which uses the raw CPython API. It still needs a lot of work,
though.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."