pysnmp/shell

Discussion in 'Python' started by Axel Scheepers, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Hi All,

    Python is so great. I've been creating a small set of objects to get some
    stats from our adsl routers. So far it works great and fast. However, in the
    shell script I created over a year ago to gather stats I do:

    mib_lp=`$snmpwalk $ip_address public
    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIf
    Index 2>/dev/null | $grep " = $lan_iface" | $head -1 | $sed -E
    's/^ip.ipAddrTabl
    e.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIfIndex.(.+) = .*/\1/g'`
    if [ "$mib_lp" != "" ]; then
    lan_ip=`$snmpget $ip_address public
    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntA
    ddr.$mib_lp 2>/dev/null | $sed -E 's/.+IpAddress: //g'`
    lan_netmask=`$snmpget $ip_address public
    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipA
    dEntNetMask.$mib_lp 2>/dev/null| $sed -E 's/.+IpAddress: //g'`
    else
    lan_ip="ERROR"
    lan_netmask="ERROR"
    fi

    To retrieve the lan settings for the router. I don't know the (lan)ip
    address of it but do know the interface number, that's why I check for that
    and then use a part of the mib to get to the netmask.

    This seems to be quite difficult with pysnmp (took me half an hour to write
    Router.SNMPQuery(self, noid) ;-)), so before I get started I wanted to ask
    if somebody might have better idea for this.

    Thanks!
    Kind regards,
    Axel Scheepers

    Axel Scheepers, Jun 22, 2004