pystone: pydotorg's RPM scores better than Fedora 2's RPM

Discussion in 'Python' started by Zhi Min, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Zhi Min

    Zhi Min Guest

    Hi,

    I find the pystone varies between the python2.3 from pydotorg
    (www.python.org) and Fedora Core 2's bundled python. But the highest
    pystone is obtained from rebuilt RPM from pydotorg source RPM. I use "rpm
    --replacefiles" to install pydotorg RPM on FC2. Fortunately, those
    python-based system config tools still works.

    Here's the pystone score:

    os, python-version, low, high,
    FC1, 2.2.3-fc1, 22321, 23923,
    FC1, 2.3.3-pydotorg, 33557, 35971,
    FC2, 2.3.3-fc2, 28248, 29585,
    FC2, 2.3.3-pydotorg, 32467, 33112,
    FC2, 2.3.4-pydotorg, 31446, 32894,
    FC2, 2.3.4-pydotorg-src, 35461, 37037,

    Test condition: Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, hyperthreading on, no cpu
    binding (no diff if cpu bound)

    The difference in the source rpm spec file is:
    - pydotorg disable ipv6 and enable pymalloc
    - FC2 enable ipv6 but does not specify enable/disable pymalloc

    Is the pymalloc that improve the pystone score? What is it?

    --
    zhimin

    Zhi Min, Jun 11, 2004