Python 2.3.2 on AIX5.1 with IBM C compiler

Patrick Useldinger

Has anyone successfully compiled Python in this configuration?

I am trying to convince our Unix people to use Python, but they have
been put off by the apparent difficulty to compile the previous version
on their AIX machines. They are tempted to use Perl, just because it
comes pre-compiled on their machines.

I am not a Aix system engineer, but a happy Python programmer and I have
offered them my help. My only try at compiling Python was on SUSE 8.2,
and I have had absolutely no problems...

I'd appreciate if somebody could point me to known issues regarding
this.

-PU

Donn Cave

Patrick Useldinger said:
Has anyone successfully compiled Python in this configuration?

I am trying to convince our Unix people to use Python, but they have
been put off by the apparent difficulty to compile the previous version
on their AIX machines. They are tempted to use Perl, just because it
comes pre-compiled on their machines.

I am not a Aix system engineer, but a happy Python programmer and I have
offered them my help. My only try at compiling Python was on SUSE 8.2,
and I have had absolutely no problems...

I'd appreciate if somebody could point me to known issues regarding
this.

I built 2.2.1, haven't tried 2.3. Looking at the source, I see
I changed a couple of things in setup.py. Where it looks for
terminfo, doesn't find it and sets curses_lib to ['curses', 'termcap'],
remove 'termcap'.

I also commented out the lines following "# Ensure that /usr/local
is always used". I don't recall the reason for this, but of course
this will depend on the site.

Then configure with '--with-cxx=no'.

Donn Cave, (e-mail address removed)

Andy Todd

Patrick said:
Has anyone successfully compiled Python in this configuration?

I am trying to convince our Unix people to use Python, but they have
been put off by the apparent difficulty to compile the previous version
on their AIX machines. They are tempted to use Perl, just because it
comes pre-compiled on their machines.

I am not a Aix system engineer, but a happy Python programmer and I have
offered them my help. My only try at compiling Python was on SUSE 8.2,
and I have had absolutely no problems...

I'd appreciate if somebody could point me to known issues regarding
this.

-PU

Its not 2.3, but you can get an RPM for Python 2.2 from this page;

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html

Simply download and install using pkgadd. The package name may indicate
that its for AIX 4.3 but it is installed and running on our AIX 5.1
server at work.

Regards,
Andy