Python 2.3 release candidate 1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeremy Hylton, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. I am very happy to announce the release of Python 2.3 release candidate
    1. The python-dev crew has fixed almost 50 bugs since the beta release
    last month. You can find the downloads at the usual place:
    http://www.python.org/2.3/

    All major reported bugs have been fixed for this release. If we do not
    discover any major bugs in the next week, we will re-release this code
    as Python 2.3 final. We encourage potential users of Python 2.3 to try
    the release candidate with their programs and report any bugs as soon as
    possible.

    To report a new bug, use the SourceForge bug tracker
    http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?func=addbug&group_id=5470

    This release of Python does not have any big changes, but it does
    have many small changes that improve the libraries, fix bugs, and
    increase stability. According to some simple benchmarks, Python 2.3
    is 25-30% faster than Python 2.2.3. There are about 15 new or
    significantly revised standard library modules, and a few new
    builtins.

    Andrew Kuchling's What's New in Python 2.3 describes the most visible
    changes since Python 2.2 in more detail:
    http://www.python.org/doc/2.3c1/whatsnew/

    Have fun!
    -- Jeremy Hylton <http://www.python.org/~jeremy/>
    Jeremy Hylton, Jul 18, 2003