python 2.3b[12]

Dave Reed

I originally tried compiling python 2.3b1 on a Solaris 9 system with
--enable-shared and ran into some problems that someone helped me
resolve and said fixes were in CVS. I thien tried python 2.3b2 and it
compiled fine so the fixes made it in; however, it reports:

../python
Python 2.3b1 (#1, Jun 14 2003, 15:08:24)
[GCC 3.2.3] on sunos5

I thought maybe this was just someone forgetting to update the startup
message for the new beta, but I've seen other messages that show
Python 2.3b2.

Any ideas on what happened?

Dave

Erik Max Francis

Dave said:
./python
Python 2.3b1 (#1, Jun 14 2003, 15:08:24)
[GCC 3.2.3] on sunos5
I thought maybe this was just someone forgetting to update the startup
message for the new beta, but I've seen other messages that show
Python 2.3b2.

Any ideas on what happened?

Hmm, mine doesn't (built from scratch on Linux):

max@oxygen:~% python2.3
Python 2.3b2 (#1, Jun 29 2003, 20:30:58)
[GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)] on linux2

Are you sure you're running the version you think you are?

Dave Reed

Dave said:
./python
Python 2.3b1 (#1, Jun 14 2003, 15:08:24)
[GCC 3.2.3] on sunos5

I thought maybe this was just someone forgetting to update the startup
message for the new beta, but I've seen other messages that show
Python 2.3b2.

Any ideas on what happened?

Hmm, mine doesn't (built from scratch on Linux):

max@oxygen:~% python2.3
Python 2.3b2 (#1, Jun 29 2003, 20:30:58)
[GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)] on linux2

Are you sure you're running the version you think you are?

I even ran it directly from the build directory and it still reports
b1.

I do have b1 installed in another directory (that was in the path when
I compiled b2). Maybe I need to remove that version of python before
compiling the new one. I used different --prefix= values when
compiling each one, but since the other one was still in the path, it
may have messed up.

Dave

Still get 2.3b1.

Here's the file size of the Python-2.3b2.tgz file: 8421285

Is that correct?

Dave

Erik Max Francis

Dave said:
Still get 2.3b1.

Here's the file size of the Python-2.3b2.tgz file: 8421285

Is that correct?

You can look on the python.org Web site and check this for yourself.

If you didn't uninstall the beta 1 and are installing the beta 2 into a
_different prefix_, it's almost certainly the case that what you're
seeing is simply contamination. Delete the old beta before installing
the new one.