Python 2.4 Tix failing on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Python' started by j vickroy, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. j vickroy

    j vickroy Guest

    Hello,

    I've just installed (accepted all installation defaults) Python 2.4 (final)
    on my Microsoft Windows XP (home edition - service pack 2) computer, and I
    am experiencing the following behavior regarding Tix:

    >>> import sys
    >>> sys.version

    '2.4 (#60, Nov 30 2004, 11:49:19) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]'
    >>> import Tix
    >>> root = Tix.Tk()

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Python24\lib\lib-tk\Tix.py", line 210, in __init__
    self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
    TclError: couldn't load library "tix8184.dll": this library or a dependent
    library could not be found in library path
    >>> import os
    >>> os.environ['TIX_LIBRARY']

    'C:\\Python24\\tcl\\tix8.1'

    "tix8184.dll" is definitely not in the 'C:\Python24\tcl\tix8.1' folder; its
    in the 'C:\Python24\DLLs' folder. I placed a copy of "tix8184.dll" in the
    'C:\Python24\tcl\tix8.1' folder, but I still get the same error.

    I next tried:

    >>> os.environ['TIX_LIBRARY'] = 'C:\\Python24\\DLLs'

    but I still get the same error.

    Could someone tell me what I am doing incorrectly?

    Thanks.
    j vickroy, Dec 9, 2004

  2. j vickroy wrote:
    > Could someone tell me what I am doing incorrectly?

    All I can tell you is that I have the exact same problem (which I did
    not have with 2.3).
    Not much of a help, I know...
    Michael Auerswald, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Ok, problem solved, more or less. What happens is that Tcl isnt looking
    for the Tix DLL along the python path nor is it looking along the
    os.environ path, but instead it just checks the normal Windows path. So,
    if your add python24\DLLs to your path the error is gone.

    Strangely enough the whole problem only turns up inside PythonWin,
    whereas if I try it from the command line everything works fine.

    Michael
    Michael Auerswald, Dec 9, 2004
  4. j vickroy

    j vickroy Guest

    Ok, that indeed did work. Thanks for your help.

    j vickroy, Dec 10, 2004