    installed it on... any tips on how to locate this?

    Thanks,
    Brad

    Brad Tilley, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Brad Tilley wrote:
    > Python 2.3 placed a registry key under:
    >
    > 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Python2.3'

    [...]
    > Python 2.4 does not use this registry entry on the two machines I have
    > installed it on... any tips on how to locate this?

    It's under

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{82D9302E-F209-4805-B548-52087047483A}

    which is the product code of Python 2.4. Notice that Python 2.4.1
    will use a different product code.

    However, if you merely want to avoid that users remove the package,
    you can set the ARPNOREMOVE property during installation, e.g.

    msiexec /i python24.msi ARPNOREMOVE=1

    You might want to set ARPNOMODIFY and ARPNOREPAIR as well.

    If you cannot readily pass that property on the command line during
    installation, you can use orca.exe (or a python script) to add this
    property to the Property table of python24.msi.

    If you have W2k or later, you can also set the "NoRemove" registry
    value under the key above, to hide the remove feature after
    installation.

    HTH,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Brad Tilley

    Brad Tilley Guest

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    > Brad Tilley wrote:
    >
    >> Python 2.3 placed a registry key under:
    >>
    >> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Python2.3'

    > [...]
    >
    >> Python 2.4 does not use this registry entry on the two machines I have
    >> installed it on... any tips on how to locate this?

    > It's under
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{82D9302E-F209-4805-B548-52087047483A}
    >

    > which is the product code of Python 2.4. Notice that Python 2.4.1
    > will use a different product code.
    >
    > However, if you merely want to avoid that users remove the package,
    > you can set the ARPNOREMOVE property during installation, e.g.
    >
    > msiexec /i python24.msi ARPNOREMOVE=1
    >
    > You might want to set ARPNOMODIFY and ARPNOREPAIR as well.
    >
    > If you cannot readily pass that property on the command line during
    > installation, you can use orca.exe (or a python script) to add this
    > property to the Property table of python24.msi.
    >
    > If you have W2k or later, you can also set the "NoRemove" registry
    > value under the key above, to hide the remove feature after
    > installation.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Martin

    That's very helpful, thanks Martin! How do I set the install path to
    c:\Program Files?

    Brad Tilley, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Brad Tilley

    Brad Tilley Guest

    Brad Tilley wrote:
    > Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >
    >> Brad Tilley wrote:
    >>
    >>> Python 2.3 placed a registry key under:
    >>>
    >>> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Python2.3'

    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> Python 2.4 does not use this registry entry on the two machines I
    >>> have installed it on... any tips on how to locate this?

    >> It's under
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{82D9302E-F209-4805-B548-52087047483A}
    >>

    >> which is the product code of Python 2.4. Notice that Python 2.4.1
    >> will use a different product code.
    >>
    >> However, if you merely want to avoid that users remove the package,
    >> you can set the ARPNOREMOVE property during installation, e.g.
    >>
    >> msiexec /i python24.msi ARPNOREMOVE=1
    >>
    >> You might want to set ARPNOMODIFY and ARPNOREPAIR as well.
    >>
    >> If you cannot readily pass that property on the command line during
    >> installation, you can use orca.exe (or a python script) to add this
    >> property to the Property table of python24.msi.
    >>
    >> If you have W2k or later, you can also set the "NoRemove" registry
    >> value under the key above, to hide the remove feature after
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Martin

    > That's very helpful, thanks Martin! How do I set the install path to
    > c:\Program Files?

    I found the documentation here:

    http://python.fyxm.net/2.4/msi.html

    Brad Tilley, Dec 1, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Brad Tilley

    Brad Tilley Guest

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    > Brad Tilley wrote:
    >
    >> I found the documentation here:
    >>
    >> http://python.fyxm.net/2.4/msi.html

    > The original, of course, is at
    >
    > http://python.org/2.4/msi.html
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Thanks Martin... going to a .msi was a great move... we can do fully
    automated, unattended installs now. I appreaciate your work.

    P.S. Here's what my batch install file currently looks like:

    msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb! ALLUSERS=1 ARPNOREMOVE=1 ARPNOMODIFY=1
    ARPNOREPAIR=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\Python24"

    Brad Tilley, Dec 1, 2004