python 2.5 and 3gb switch

neil

Hello group,

I have a question I hope someone knowledgeable here might assist me with :eek:)

I am working on a python exporter to get a scene out of Blender and into a
renderer called Indigo. I hope you at least have heard of open source
Blender..
The scene is very large requiring me to use a 3gb switch enabled version of
Blender and of course boot into a 3gb XP.
Unfortunately it seems that the limitation is now that python wont handle
the mission I pass to it.
I am wondering if there is any build of python available that is 3gb aware?
( if that is indeed the issue)
I see python is not really there for 64 bit yet but most of the people
wanting to use this exporter will have 32 bit anyway.

Any assistance is appreciated
regards
Neil

James Stroud

neil said:
Hello group,

I have a question I hope someone knowledgeable here might assist me with :eek:)

I am working on a python exporter to get a scene out of Blender and into a
renderer called Indigo. I hope you at least have heard of open source
Blender..
The scene is very large requiring me to use a 3gb switch enabled version of
Blender and of course boot into a 3gb XP.
Unfortunately it seems that the limitation is now that python wont handle
the mission I pass to it.
I am wondering if there is any build of python available that is 3gb aware?
( if that is indeed the issue)
I see python is not really there for 64 bit yet but most of the people
wanting to use this exporter will have 32 bit anyway.

Any assistance is appreciated
regards
Neil

Please post the relevant code and error messages.

James

neil

why?
I am asking if any one knows of a 3gb python build.
The code runs successfully in lesser missions it just wont run in the extra
memory available when I try to run it along with my other programs in a 3gb
space.
thanks for your reply though

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

The code runs successfully in lesser missions it just wont run in the extra
memory available when I try to run it along with my other programs in a 3gb
space.

Still, it would be helpful if you explained how "wont run" manifests:
does it fail to start, does it give you an exception, does it crash,
does it erase your hard disk?

I'm not aware of a 3gb Python build, but you should be able to build it
yourself.

Regards,
Martin

Carl Banks

An error traceback or any other information might help us understand the
problem. Even if you think you know what the issue is--and you didn't
seem 100% certain--an example would help other people understand the
issue better.

I am asking if any one knows of a 3gb python build. The code runs
successfully in lesser missions it just wont run in the extra memory
available when I try to run it along with my other programs in a 3gb
space.
thanks for your reply though

You're probably out of luck. Blender uses a built-in Python interpreter,
which means you're stuck with whatever version it uses. If you were to
install a different version of Python, Blender wouldn't use it--it would
still use it's built-in version.

(On Windows, I'm not sure if Blender ships with the Python DLL or if
Python is statically linked in. If Blender does ship with the Python
DLL, you could try to replace the DLL it ships with with the DLL from a
64-bit build of Python, but it would almost certainly crash Blender
because the function signatures would be different. Hell, much lesser
changes can cause problems: it is because of Blender that I compile
Python in UCS-4 mode.)

There is another possibility: perhaps it is a 64-bit version of Python
built into Blender, but you need some standard libraries not supplied by
Blender. (This is something a traceback might have been able to help us
find out.) Does your conversion utility depend on having Python
installed? If so, then installing a 64-bit version could help. But, it
still behooves you to install the exact same version of Python,
preferrably built with the same options.

I can't help you there, though; don't run Windows myself. Did you look
at the Active State distros? Maybe they have one.

And finally, asking on the Blender forums would probably be more helpful.

Carl Banks

neil

no sir nothing spectacular like that,
I'll explain further -
The .blend file I have is 550mb
It originates from 13,000+ meshes imported from Solidworks ( 3d CAD program)
of a piece of machinery. A python script was used for this purpose -it also
performed some other tasks on the meshes like matching materials from a
library and identifying sharp edges for normals in the renderer.
This part was not a problem - the commit space reached 2,4 gb
The next step is to export it in parts of about 2 million faces each in a
file format Indigo uses.
I need to save and reopen to unload commit space to do that... this means I
have about 1.4gb commit.
If I start the export script it will run fine until just about the end -
this consumes another 700mb - ( I have the max MS recommends -2.9gb- set in
the 3gb switch to play with and I actually know this is the limit cos I've
hit that too..)
Right at this point I still have 800mb available but here's the kicker - It
needs about the same 550mb to complete the save.I know this from previous
work on lesser files.
This is where python gives 'memerror'. Although the space is there it wont
use it.
I believe I should be using Python that is 3gb enabled as well
This is the same error I ran across doing smaller tasks without the switch
btw Blender does not crash.
HTH
Neil

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

This is where python gives 'memerror'. Although the space is there it wont

It's still not clear to me. Please be as precise and literal as you can
when reporting error messages. I very much doubt that Python outputs

memerror

at some point to the terminal; the string 'memerror' does not occur in
the entire Python source code. There are things in Python that have a
similar spelling, but again, please copy that spelling (and any
additional output that surrounds that text) literally, rather than
rephrasing it.
I believe I should be using Python that is 3gb enabled as well

I'm not so sure about that, with your description right now. There might
be other reasons that cause that error (but they are hard to guess as
still still don't know exactly what the error is).

Regards,
Martin

neil

thanks for your interest
....well I am quoting what it says -
it gives me some recent lines executed in the console window and then
'memerror'
possibly Blenders python API is slightly different from python itself
I see there is a python exception MemoryError...
most likely this is the equivalent and also using google I see other
references to MemError or memerror

I'll have to get back here tomorrow its late now
I will get the exact statement for you

neil

Since I was last here I found someone who is willing to do a 3gb python
build for me who builds Blender as well.
I am pretty sure python is just not recognising the extra space.
Apparently there is a python module used in the 3gb Blender build I have
that may be contributing too although the script I have requires a full
python install.
I will see how his assistance goes.
Thanks for your willing help guys.
regards
Neil

Magnus Lycka

neil said:
I see python is not really there for 64 bit yet but most of the people

I think you mean "Windows is not really there for 64 bit yet".
Python works well on real 64 bit operating system. Blender
does too I presume.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The scene is very large requiring me to use a 3gb switch enabled version
of Blender and of course boot into a 3gb XP.

Why not just use a proper 64-bit OS? Since Blender is also open-source,
there's no requirement that you be hobbled by Dimdows.