Python 2.5 licensing: stop this change

Steve Holden

Grant said:
Good one Steve.

I particularly liked the Comments section.

:)
Yes, lots of people joined in the spirit of the original post - the
comments were added by others. Thanks for pointing them out: I hadn't
noticed, having been out all day at a Make Beer Free rally.

regards
Steve

Steve Holden

Grant said:
Did you read the blog entry?
I suspect he didn't. I'm guessing that eventually we'll have to remove
the blog entry just so's nobobdy's tempted to take it seriously.

regards
Steve

Ray

Steve said:
I suspect he didn't. I'm guessing that eventually we'll have to remove
the blog entry just so's nobobdy's tempted to take it seriously.

If a big corporation wants to take it seriously and pay 1.25, what's
wrong with that? :)

Tim Roberts

Steve Holden said:
As the only director of the Python Software Foundation to vote against a
recent Board motion to implement the change in licensing terms described in

http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2006/04/python-25-licensing-change.html

I would like to place on record my protest against this change. I think
it will harm the Python language and ultimately be counter-productive,
reducing the user base and discouraging open source programmers from
contributing to the code base.

If you disagree with this proposed change it's not too late to do
something about it. If this change goes ahead it will be the end of
Python as we know it.

The subject of this post really scared me. I was one of the driver
developers for XFree86. They really DID change their license in XFree86
4.4, and within about 6 months, XFree86 was effectively dead and X.Org had
taken over the world, with the same code base but a more traditional
license.

I held my breath until I read the actual document...

Philippe Martin

That was nasty Steve - at least I'm ready for any kind of bad new today ;-)

Regards,

Philippe