Python 2.6.6 release candidate 2 now available.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Barry Warsaw, Aug 17, 2010.

  1. Barry Warsaw

    Barry Warsaw Guest

    Hello fellow Python enthusiasts,

    The source tarballs and Windows installers for the second (and hopefully last)
    Python 2.6.6 release candidate is now available:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.6/

    We've had a handful of important fixes since rc1, and of course a huge number
    of bugs have been fixed since 2.6.5, with the full NEWS file available here:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.6/NEWS.txt

    We would love it if you can download, install, and test this version with your
    favorite projects and on your favorite platforms. We expect to release Python
    2.6.6 final on August 24, 2010.

    Please note that with the release of Python 2.7 final on July 3, 2010, and in
    accordance with Python policy, Python 2.6.6 is the last scheduled bug fix
    maintenance release of the 2.6 series. Because of this, your testing of this
    release candidate will help immensely. We plan on continuing to support
    source-only security fixes in Python 2.6 for the next five years.

    My thanks go out to everyone who has contributed with code, testing and bug
    tracker gardening for Python 2.6.6. The excellent folks on #python-dev are
    true Pythonic heros.

    Enjoy,
    -Barry
    (on behalf of the Python development community)

    Barry Warsaw, Aug 17, 2010