    Is there anything that I am missing?

    oh btw, I used to use Python 2.6.7 that comes preinstalled on Mac OS.

    I really appreciate your help.
    Naser Nikandish, Jul 17, 2012

  2. Naser Nikandish

    Hans Mulder Guest

    On 17/07/12 15:47:05, Naser Nikandish wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS Lion. Here is what I did:
    >
    > 1- Download Mac Installer disk image (2.6) (sig) from
    > http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6/
    >
    > 2- Install it
    >
    > 3- Run Python Luncher, go to Python Luncher preferences, and change the
    > interpreter to Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw
    >
    > Now that I want to open IDLE and open my old projects, it doesn't run!
    > Is there anything that I am missing?

    You may be missing a leading slash. The path to pythonw is
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw

    > oh btw, I used to use Python 2.6.7 that comes preinstalled on Mac OS.

    That could also be the problem. You could try using the Python you've
    downloaded in step 1.

    > I really appreciate your help.

    You could try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and running:

    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pyt\
    hon /Applications/Python\ 2.6/IDLE.app/Contents/MacOS/IDLE

    (you can type it one two lines, as shown, or as a single rather long
    line, leaving out the backslash-newline).

    That should run Idle, or, if it doesn't, it should give you a useful
    error message.

    Hope this helps,

    -- HansM
    Hans Mulder, Jul 17, 2012

  3. Naser Nikandish

    Ned Deily Guest

    In article <5005927a$0$6949$4all.nl>,
    Hans Mulder <> wrote:
    > On 17/07/12 15:47:05, Naser Nikandish wrote:
    > > I am trying to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS Lion. Here is what I did:
    > >
    > > 1- Download Mac Installer disk image (2.6) (sig) from
    > > http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6/
    > >
    > > 2- Install it
    > >
    > > 3- Run Python Luncher, go to Python Luncher preferences, and change the
    > > interpreter to
    > > Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw
    > >
    > > Now that I want to open IDLE and open my old projects, it doesn't run!
    > > Is there anything that I am missing?

    > You may be missing a leading slash. The path to pythonw is
    > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw

    Also keep in mind that Python 2.6 has been moved to security-fix-only
    mode which, among other things, means that new binary installers for OS
    X are not being made. The most recent OS X binary installer was 2.6.6.
    The system Python in OS X 10.7 Lion is 2.6.7. There has been one
    additional security fix release for 2.6 (2.6.8) since then. If you need
    Python 2, you really should consider moving to Python 2.7, which is
    already at 2.7.3 and is fully maintained. (The most recent Python 3
    release is 3.2.3, also fully maintained.)

    --
    Ned Deily,
    Ned Deily, Jul 17, 2012