Python 2.7.2 on Win7 and IDLE (Try it)

W. eWatson

Undoubtedly some of you have seen my post Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2
flop the same way under Win 7.

One thing I think no one has offered is whether their installation of
2.7.2 has the same IDLE oddity that I've described. That is, if you
right-click on a py file, do you see a choice for the IDLE editor?

W. eWatson

Undoubtedly some of you have seen my post Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2
flop the same way under Win 7.

One thing I think no one has offered is whether their installation of
2.7.2 has the same IDLE oddity that I've described. That is, if you
right-click on a py file, do you see a choice for the IDLE editor?

Try it on Win 7.

Steven D'Aprano

Undoubtedly some of you have seen my post Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2
flop the same way under Win 7.

One thing I think no one has offered is whether their installation of
2.7.2 has the same IDLE oddity that I've described. That is, if you
right-click on a py file, do you see a choice for the IDLE editor?

Terry Reedy has already said that his installation works fine.

"I installed 3.3.2 on a new Win 7 machine and Edit with IDLE works fine."

If you have installed the regular, 32-bit version of Python on a 64-bit
version of Windows, chances are good that there will be registry problems
stopping things from working correctly. See Stephen Hansen's post.

W. eWatson

Terry Reedy has already said that his installation works fine.

"I installed 3.3.2 on a new Win 7 machine and Edit with IDLE works fine."

If you have installed the regular, 32-bit version of Python on a 64-bit
version of Windows, chances are good that there will be registry problems
stopping things from working correctly. See Stephen Hansen's post.
Somehow 3.3.2 doesn't look like 2.7.2.

Ah, I installed a 32-bit. Missed his post. So what should I do? Try
3.3.2 64-bit? I'm game. By the time you read this, I will either have
done it or gotten into it.

W. eWatson

Somehow 3.3.2 doesn't look like 2.7.2.

Ah, I installed a 32-bit. Missed his post. So what should I do? Try
3.3.2 64-bit? I'm game. By the time you read this, I will either have
done it or gotten into it.

3.3.2? I do not see that in his single message I found. I see a 3.2.2
release on <http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2.2/>. Google
shows me nothing for 3.3.2.

I see:
* Windows x86 MSI Installer (3.2.2) (sig) and Visual Studio debug
information files (sig)
* Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2) [1] (sig) and Visual Studio
debug information files (sig)

Visual Studio???? I hope I don't need VS!

MRAB

Somehow 3.3.2 doesn't look like 2.7.2.

Ah, I installed a 32-bit. Missed his post. So what should I do? Try
3.3.2 64-bit? I'm game. By the time you read this, I will either have
done it or gotten into it.

3.3.2? I do not see that in his single message I found. I see a 3.2.2
release on <http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2.2/>. Google
shows me nothing for 3.3.2.

I see:
* Windows x86 MSI Installer (3.2.2) (sig) and Visual Studio debug
information files (sig)
* Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2) [1] (sig) and Visual Studio debug
information files (sig)

Visual Studio???? I hope I don't need VS!

If you look more closely you'll see that there are 5 links on each line:

Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2)
[1]
(sig)
Visual Studio debug information files
(sig)

Unless you intending to work on the sources, you need just the first
one:

Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2)

for a 64-bit build of Python 3.2.2.

W. eWatson

[...]

An oddity occurs here. Yes, x86-64 is the right installer, maybe. While
noting your msg, my PC got very slow, and I ended up going to a related
site for the downloads of 3.2.2 while trying for the one above.
<http://www.python.org/download/>.

It shows:
Also look at the detailed Python 3.2.2 page:

* Python 3.2.2 Windows x86 MSI Installer (Windows binary -- does
not include source)
* Python 3.2.2 Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (Windows AMD64 / Intel
64 / X86-64 binary [1] -- does not include source)

The first of the two choices does not say x-bit anything. The second
looks off course for my HP 64-bit PC.

I'm going to just use Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2).

Wait a minute Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2). Windows X86-64 MSI
Installer (3.2.2) shows it's associated with Visual Studio. Why would I
want that? Ah, I get it The single first line has Windows X86-64 MSI
Installer (3.2.2) and Visual Studio. That's a really weird way to
arrange them. OK, now off to Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2)

I'll be back shortly after I've made the install.

W. eWatson

[...]

I surrender. IDLE does not appear as a choice when I right-click on a py
file.

IDLE is on the All Programs list, and if I click on it, something more
or less seems to happen, but it does not reveal anything. There is a
comparability choice there that asks what OS did it last run on.
Unfortunately the choices were VISTA (service packs) and Win7. I
selected Win7 but it didn't help. Off to bed soon.

Terry Reedy

Terry Reedy has already said that his installation works fine.

"I installed 3.3.2 on a new Win 7 machine and Edit with IDLE works fine."

64 bit python and 64 bit win 7

Terry Reedy

On 11/19/2011 12:03 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

I meant 3.2.2, not 3.3.2, sorry for typo.
* Python 3.2.2 Windows x86 MSI Installer (Windows binary -- does not
include source)

this is 32 bit. Note that your c: has /program files for 64 bit programs
and /program files(x86) for 32 bit programs. I know, a bit confusing.
* Python 3.2.2 Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (Windows AMD64 / Intel 64 /
X86-64 binary [1] -- does not include source)

this is 64 bit.

W. eWatson

On 11/19/2011 12:03 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

I meant 3.2.2, not 3.3.2, sorry for typo.
* Python 3.2.2 Windows x86 MSI Installer (Windows binary -- does not
include source)

this is 32 bit. Note that your c: has /program files for 64 bit programs
and /program files(x86) for 32 bit programs. I know, a bit confusing.
* Python 3.2.2 Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (Windows AMD64 / Intel 64 /
X86-64 binary [1] -- does not include source)

this is 64 bit.
Yes. Did I miss something?

W. eWatson

Works fine for me from msi install on Windows 8 x64 Dev Preview
3.2.2, and not 2.7.2. The course of the thread was changed at the MRAB
post.

What do you mean by it works fine? My criterion is that it puts IDLE as
a choice for editor on the menu produced with a right-click on a py file.

W. eWatson

Works fine for me from msi install on Windows 8 x64 Dev Preview
Are you suggesting the mail list might be a better place to pursue this?
Or is it from some one else?

Anssi Saari

W. eWatson said:
One thing I think no one has offered is whether their installation of
2.7.2 has the same IDLE oddity that I've described. That is, if you
right-click on a py file, do you see a choice for the IDLE editor?

I don't have 2.7.2, but my Windows (7, 32 bit) machine has 3.2 installed
and also 2.6.6 included in Python(x,y) distribution.

Right clicking on a .py has, under Open with, the choices GNU
Emacsclient (my choice for editing), python.exe and pythonw.exe. No
Idle.

I was able to add idle to the menu it by clicking "Choose default
program" in the menu and pointing that to idle.bat.

Alemu Tadesse

Dear All,

I am new to python. I do not know why my python editor (for 2.7.2)
changes everything to just black and white after saving. No color for
say the built in functions for loops defs .... they all look the same -
it is annoying for someone coming from another editors that help you
track/easily see your work. I just un installed it to install it again.
I know it is pain to install all the scientific things again. I wish
Python has something like R (R-studio) from which you can install
packages very easily. I just started yesterday and already frustrated
with it. I am sticking to python only because I hear good things about
it and I think it is my problem.

Thank you all

Alemu

John Gordon

In said:
I am new to python. I do not know why my python editor (for 2.7.2)
changes everything to just black and white after saving. No color for

What editor are you using? There are quite a lot of them.

MRAB

I am new to python. I do not know why my python editor (for 2.7.2)
changes everything to just black and white after saving.

If you're using IDLE, are you saving the file without the .py
extension? That could be the problem.