    Would appreciate any insights as to what may be happening.

    thanks in advance
    , Aug 17, 2012

  2. On 8/17/2012 12:20 PM said...
    > Just installed python 2.7 and using with web2py.
    >
    > When running python from command line to bring up web2py server, get errors that python socket and urllib modules cannot be found, can't be loaded. This is not a web2py issue.

    So, on my system I get:

    ActivePython 2.7.0.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
    Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 23 2010, 17:18:21) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
    (Intel)] on win32
    >>> import urllib
    >>> import socket

    What does your system show?

    Emile

    Emile van Sebille, Aug 17, 2012

    > So, on my system I get:
    >
    > ActivePython 2.7.0.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
    >
    > Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 23 2010, 17:18:21) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
    >
    > (Intel)] on win32

    > What does your system show?
    >

    > Emile

    From cmd prompt - I get this:
    Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    >>> import urllib

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib.py", line 26, in <module>
    import socket
    File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 47, in <module>
    import _socket
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found

    I also get that if I attempt to import socket.

    NOTE this does not happen when I'm in the pythonwin IDE.
    , Aug 17, 2012

    > So, on my system I get:
    >
    > ActivePython 2.7.0.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
    >
    > Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 23 2010, 17:18:21) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
    >
    > (Intel)] on win32

    > What does your system show?
    >

    > Emile
    >
    >From cmd prompt - I get this:

    Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    >>> import urllib

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib.py", line 26, in <module>
    import socket
    File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 47, in <module>
    import _socket
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found

    I also get that if I attempt to import socket.

    NOTE this does not happen when I'm in the pythonwin IDE.
    , Aug 17, 2012
  5. On 8/17/2012 1:41 PM said...
    >>From cmd prompt - I get this:

    > Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    > File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib.py", line 26, in <module>
    > import socket
    > File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 47, in <module>
    > import _socket
    > ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found
    >
    > I also get that if I attempt to import socket.
    >
    > NOTE this does not happen when I'm in the pythonwin IDE.

    So, try the following in both environments:

    import sys
    for ii in sys.path: print ii

    You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    In the pythonwin environment, try:

    import socket
    print socket.__file__

    Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

    Emile
    Emile van Sebille, Aug 17, 2012

    > So, try the following in both environments:
    > import sys
    > for ii in sys.path: print ii
    >
    > You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    > In the pythonwin environment, try:
    >

    > import socket
    >
    > print socket.__file__
    >

    > Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.
    >

    > Emile

    Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much
    , Aug 17, 2012

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 3:20:48 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
    > Just installed python 2.7 and using with web2py.
    >

    > When running python from command line to bring up web2py server, get errors that python socket and urllib modules cannot be found, can't be loaded. This is not a web2py issue.
    >

    > No other python versions are on the my machine. Pythonpath has the requisite folders identified.
    >

    > Would appreciate any insights as to what may be happening.
    >

    > thanks in advance
    , Aug 17, 2012

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

    > > So, try the following in both environments:

    > > import sys

    > > for ii in sys.path: print ii

    > > You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    > > In the pythonwin environment, try:

    > > import socket

    > > print socket.__file__

    > > Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

    > > Emile

    > Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

    Well it's bizarre - now it doesn't. did an import sys from within interpreter, then did import socket. Worked the first time. Restarted and it happened again. The sys.path outputs are identical. The print socket.__file__reveals a file that is in the sys.path...grrrr.

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

    > > So, try the following in both environments:

    > > import sys

    > > for ii in sys.path: print ii

    > > You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    > > In the pythonwin environment, try:

    > > import socket

    > > print socket.__file__

    > > Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

    > > Emile

    > Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

    > > So, try the following in both environments:

    > > import sys

    > > for ii in sys.path: print ii

    > > You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    > > In the pythonwin environment, try:

    > > import socket

    > > print socket.__file__

    > > Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

    > > Emile

    > Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit. Corrected that. the sys.path outputs match but I still have the same problem.

    print socket.__file__ produces a path that is in the pythonpath.
    , Aug 17, 2012

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

    > > So, try the following in both environments:

    > > import sys

    > > for ii in sys.path: print ii

    > > You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    > > In the pythonwin environment, try:

    > > import socket

    > > print socket.__file__

    > > Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

    > > Emile

    > Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

    Well it's bizarre - now it doesn't. did an import sys from within interpreter, then did import socket. Worked the first time. Restarted and it happened again. The sys.path outputs are identical. The print socket.__file__reveals a file that is in the sys.path...grrrr.

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

    > > So, try the following in both environments:

    > > import sys

    > > for ii in sys.path: print ii

    > > You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    > > In the pythonwin environment, try:

    > > import socket

    > > print socket.__file__

    > > Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

    > > Emile

    > Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

    On Friday, August 17, 2012 5:15:35 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

    > > So, try the following in both environments:

    > > import sys

    > > for ii in sys.path: print ii

    > > You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

    > > In the pythonwin environment, try:

    > > import socket

    > > print socket.__file__

    > > Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

    > > Emile

    > Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit. Corrected that. the sys.path outputs match but I still have the same problem.

    print socket.__file__ produces a path that is in the pythonpath.
    , Aug 17, 2012
  11. On 8/17/2012 2:22 PM said...
    >> Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

    > Well it's bizarre - now it doesn't. did an import sys from within interpreter, then did import socket. Worked the first time. Restarted and it happened again. The sys.path outputs are identical. The print socket.__file__ reveals a file that is in the sys.path...grrrr.

    Next, I'd check for rogue versions of _socket.pyd in directories
    occuring in sys.path.

    Emile
    Emile van Sebille, Aug 17, 2012