Python 2.7 import socket urllib fails to load, module not found

wdtate

Just installed python 2.7 and using with web2py.

When running python from command line to bring up web2py server, get errors that python socket and urllib modules cannot be found, can't be loaded. This is not a web2py issue.

No other python versions are on the my machine. Pythonpath has the requisite folders identified.

Would appreciate any insights as to what may be happening.

thanks in advance

Emile van Sebille

On 8/17/2012 12:20 PM (e-mail address removed) said...
Just installed python 2.7 and using with web2py.

When running python from command line to bring up web2py server, get errors that python socket and urllib modules cannot be found, can't be loaded. This is not a web2py issue.

So, on my system I get:

ActivePython 2.7.0.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 23 2010, 17:18:21) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
What does your system show?

Emile

wdtate

So, on my system I get:

ActivePython 2.7.0.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on

Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 23 2010, 17:18:21) [MSC v.1500 32 bit

(Intel)] on win32

What does your system show?

Emile
From cmd prompt - I get this:
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib.py", line 26, in <module>
import socket
File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 47, in <module>
import _socket
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found

I also get that if I attempt to import socket.

NOTE this does not happen when I'm in the pythonwin IDE.

wdtate

So, on my system I get:

ActivePython 2.7.0.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on

Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 23 2010, 17:18:21) [MSC v.1500 32 bit

(Intel)] on win32

What does your system show?

Emile

From cmd prompt - I get this:
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib.py", line 26, in <module>
import socket
File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 47, in <module>
import _socket
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found

I also get that if I attempt to import socket.

NOTE this does not happen when I'm in the pythonwin IDE.

Emile van Sebille

On 8/17/2012 1:41 PM (e-mail address removed) said...
From cmd prompt - I get this:
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib.py", line 26, in <module>
import socket
File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 47, in <module>
import _socket
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found

I also get that if I attempt to import socket.

NOTE this does not happen when I'm in the pythonwin IDE.

So, try the following in both environments:

import sys
for ii in sys.path: print ii

You'll likely find diffferences between the two.

In the pythonwin environment, try:

import socket
print socket.__file__

Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

Emile

wdtate

So, try the following in both environments:
import sys
for ii in sys.path: print ii

You'll likely find diffferences between the two.
In the pythonwin environment, try:

import socket

print socket.__file__

Chances are the __file__'s directory isn't in the command line's sys.path.

Emile

Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

wdtate

[...]

Well it's bizarre - now it doesn't. did an import sys from within interpreter, then did import socket. Worked the first time. Restarted and it happened again. The sys.path outputs are identical. The print socket.__file__reveals a file that is in the sys.path...grrrr.

Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit. Corrected that. the sys.path outputs match but I still have the same problem.

print socket.__file__ produces a path that is in the pythonpath.

wdtate

Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

Well it's bizarre - now it doesn't. did an import sys from within interpreter, then did import socket. Worked the first time. Restarted and it happened again. The sys.path outputs are identical. The print socket.__file__reveals a file that is in the sys.path...grrrr.

Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit...grrrrr... thanks so much

Done - tail end of the python path had a missing bit. Corrected that. the sys.path outputs match but I still have the same problem.

print socket.__file__ produces a path that is in the pythonpath.

Emile van Sebille

On 8/17/2012 2:22 PM (e-mail address removed) said...
Well it's bizarre - now it doesn't. did an import sys from within interpreter, then did import socket. Worked the first time. Restarted and it happened again. The sys.path outputs are identical. The print socket.__file__ reveals a file that is in the sys.path...grrrr.

Next, I'd check for rogue versions of _socket.pyd in directories
occuring in sys.path.

Emile