Python 2 releases after 2.6

slinkp

This seems to be a bit of a FAQ (at least among worried Zope
developers :) ...
What are the plans for Python 2 releases after Python 2.6 / Python 3
are released?

First, in the 2006 State of Python, Guido said:

"""
# 2.7: likely; may contain some 3.0 backports
# 2.9 is as far as we'll go (running out of digits :)
"""

Then there's PEP 3000, which says:
"""
I expect that there will be parallel Python 2.x and 3.x releases for
some time; the Python 2.x releases will continue for a longer time
than the traditional 2.x.y bugfix releases. Typically, we stop
releasing bugfix versions for 2.x once version 2.(x+1) has been
released. But I expect there to be at least one or two new 2.x
releases even after 3.0 (final) has been released, probably well into
3.1 or 3.2. This will to some extent depend on community demand for
continued 2.x support, acceptance and stability of 3.0, and volunteer
stamina.
"""

Has any of that changed (insofar as anyone can predict the future of
course)?

Thanks,

-PW

Steve Holden

slinkp said:
[...]

Well, since Tim Peters isn't around to channel Guido, let me just say
"no". The above remains the current intention. 2.6 is intended to
backport as many as possible of 3.0's new features.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119